March 11, 2024

OBVIOUSLY by Joylene M Bailey

 




One spring I was hiding our girls' Easter baskets, accompanied by the boyfriend of my 19-year-old. I opened the door of the old playhouse and put her decorated basket smack dab in the middle of the table in the middle of the room. Mark looked at me questioningly.

"Isn't that a little obvious?"

I replied, "I know her. She'll look in the playhouse, but she'll never see it right in front of her face." 

And I was right. She looked in the playhouse, under the table, around the table, in every corner, then closed the door and went hunting elsewhere. Too busy looking to actually see.

~~~

At the latest meeting of my writers' group, we had an interesting writing prompt. We each chose playing cards, then had 17 minutes to write a story or piece about anything we chose, but in which we had to mention the suit of the card, the colour of the suit, and the number or face on the card. We could be glaringly blatant or only hint at the components. Then, the group had to guess what our card was, based on the story we read after 17 minutes of writing. 

I had the Queen of clubs, so my story included a black lab named Queenie. Later, when I read the story to the rest of the group, most of them got the suit and the colour but couldn't figure out the number/face card. Somehow, the name Queenie went right over their heads. And I thought I'd been so obvious.

~~~

What you see is not what others see. We inhabit parallel worlds of perception, bounded by our interests and experience. What is obvious to some is invisible to others."
-- George Monbiot, British journalist and author --

~~~

It's striking that what might seem obvious to us isn't obvious to others. I suppose that's why we need to know who we want our writing to reach. But that can be tricky too. 

I once wrote a story for an American children's magazine in which the students come in from recess and change from their outdoor shoes to their indoor shoes. The question that came back to me was, Why do the children have two pairs of shoes? Is it customary in Canada for students to continually change shoes from outdoor to indoor and vice-versa? I had just assumed this was the protocol in all elementary schools. Apparently not in the US.    

~~~

I've discovered, as far as my blog goes, it's easiest for me to write if I have in mind one specific person to whom I'm writing. When I think of writing to that one person, I know how much information is just enough, and where I'm being too obvious. It's so much easier to write to one person. Then, when others become my readers too, it's a bonus.

It's a delicate balance to say what we need to say without getting bogged down in the details ... making it too obvious. Would you agree?

I just finished reading a cozy English mystery in which I knew who the murderer was AND where the body was hidden before I was half done the book. It was so obvious. How disappointing!

Our readers need to know just enough to move the story/article forward and yet not too much to bore them. For myself as a reader, once I feel like I'm getting too many unnecessary details I quit reading.

But that's just me ...
Other people like lots of details ...
Depending on the topic ...
Oh dear, this is getting complicated.

What kinds of tricks or methods do you use to keep your writing balanced between too obvious and just enough information? I'd really like your feedback on this, because the deeper I get into this topic, the more complicated it seems.

Obviously.

~~~


Feature photo by Jill Wellington from Pixabay






Joy writes from lake land Alberta where she lives with The Cowboy, a couple of seniors and a couple of pets. Usually her writing is a bit more coherent, but right now the meds for her sinus infection are making her a little loopy. You might find a better example of her writing at her blog, Scraps of Joy, but maybe not.

13 comments:

  1. It's charming, entertaining, and enlightening. I just finished reading your post to Rick - he also enjoyed it and chuckled in all the right places. You are a delightful writer, Joy, even when meds are making you feel loopy. And I OBVIOUSLY think you must think of me often as that one person who will be reading your post, because you speak so directly to my heart so often (wink). Thanks, Joy, for starting my day off right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. Your comment will keep me smiling for days. Glad Rick could get something out of it too. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Joy, for making me smile, chuckle, and think deeply about the obvious concerning our writing.
    The best trick I know is to have critque partners. They see what we missed. They ask questions about what they missed.
    Your advice about writing for a specific person is perfect. I've found this to be true for other creative endeavors too.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Critique partners, yes that's one of the best methods to keep us writing tight. Thanks, Wendy.

      Delete
  3. Oh Joy! I loved this post so much and connected with so many things you said! Isn't it funny that sometimes we miss the obvious when its right there, staring us in the face! I remember hearing a friend who livd in the States for a while commenting on how people don't take off their shoes when they enter the house, something that is almost a given here no matter the season. So, I nodded when you shared the example of indoor and outdoor shoes. It seems so obvious to us! Finally, I appreciated your mention of how we need to strike that balance in our own writing. Thanks for making me smile today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I appreciate your comment very much. Thank you for taking the time.

      Delete
  4. I loved your post, Joy! It caused me to think about an aspect of my writing that I often struggle with. I am an abstract thinker, so I know from experience my writing sometimes causes readers to scratch their heads questioningly. The balance comes in giving enough information to encourage the reader to keep reading, yet not insult their intelligence. As a reader, I like the writer to stimulate my mind -- make me work a bit to figure things out -- cause me to go beyond what they've written. But I don't like being confused or bored. It can be tricky! And I agree with Wendy about having critique partners. New eyes often see what we've missed. Thank you for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "yet not insult their intelligence." YES! I completely agree with that, Valerie. I never want to come across preachy, or even teachy. I looked up 'abstract thinker' after reading your comment and I'm pretty sure I'm an abstract thinker too. Which might be why I often struggle to get down in words exactly what's in my brain. Thanks for your comment. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this beautiful piece, Joy! Writing with one person in mind helps me focus on what would be meaningful to him/her. Its important for me to write in ways they can understand, including language usage and theological concepts. Then too, my critique partners help me sharpen my descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing in language our targeted reader understands is so important. Thanks for pointing that out, Sandi. And thanks for your comment too. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks, Joy. I like the idea of writing with a specific person in mind. Will have to try it. It’s so interesting to ask people what they recall about an event and get a plethora of answers. Seems to me that in order to get to the truth there needs to be as many witnesses interviewed as possible. Hope you are having a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As many witnesses interviewed as possible. Absolutely! And even then, it takes work to get at the actual truth, doesn't it? Thanks, Sharon.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.