March 05, 2024

One Project or Balancing Multiples? By Sandi Somers


Are you a person who can balance several writing projects? Or do you prefer to work on only one project? This question came up a number of years ago when I didn’t know how to organize my time to polish several assignments that were on my plate. 

I began searching for how other writers and artists managed their projects. 

Isaac Asimov, who wrote over 500 books, kept five or six typewriters in his workroom, each with a page inserted in readiness. He rotated from one project to another with whatever momentarily piqued his interest.  

Philip Yancey focussed on writing one book at a time. When he was writing a column for Christianity Today, he enjoyed taking one day off a month to write the column. (One day! It would take me a week!)

Vincent Van Gogh set up as many as 14 canvases of the same scene, drawing clouds and natural landscapes as the light changed during the day.

Madeleine L’Engle combined writing one book with adding ideas and journal entries to several others she had in mind. Then when she was ready to begin a new work, she chose the one with the most complete ideas.

Grace Fox, speaker at our Fall Conferences, batches her work for speaking engagements, book proposals, podcasts, books, etc. She works, for example, two days on one project, three days on another.

 

As well as discovering how authors and artists worked, I‘ve gleaned wisdom, some from our own InScribers. I’ll pass them on to you. 

Discover how many projects you can manage. Alan Anderson said he chose three. (Sorry, Alan, I can’t find the blog post where you wrote this—but I remembered it.) On the other hand, Steph Beth Nickel emailed me that she is a writer-juggler who loves to “keep all the plates spinning. ... Most of the time, having several projects on the go at once energizes me. Most of the time.”   

But in general, maintain at least two projects. When you get bogged down with one, switching to another will enliven your spirits. Marcia Laycock needed to take a break from working on a major novel, so she wrote a delightful children’s book, Merrigold’s Very Best Home, that refreshed her and won awards. 

Ray Bradbury said that sometimes a major project needs to be set aside and incubate for up to a year. When you come back to it, you’ll see it with fresh eyes.  

If your current project is revising and editing, continuing to write new material will keep your creative juices flowing.

Along with the above strategies, Tracy Krauss wrote in one blog post the necessity of keeping balance in all things.  

Like a complex machine, we must strike a balance between marketing, promotion, and business activities…and the actual writing side of things. All of these writing-related activities must then fit into the greater balance of life…work, family, church, household chores, devotional life...  

But above all, we need to draw on the Lord's strength. As Steph Beth said that she needs to, “rely on the Holy Spirit to lead and guide and to provide me with the wherewithal I need to accomplish the tasks at hand.”

I’m reminded of Scripture which says: “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands” (Psalm 90:17 NIV). He will do it.

I’d like to know: How many projects or project components can you handle simultaneously? What strategies have you discovered? How do you balance your time and energy? How do you and God partner in this process?

Image by Getty

  

 

12 comments:

  1. I always have more than one project on the go. I find, like from Asimov's quote, that things are better after incubation, so they often need to rest while working on something else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Tracy. You've given us a voice and wisdom of experience!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this encouraging post, dear Sandi. How inspiring to hear that Marcia Laycock took a break from one major project and wrote a smaller award-winning one.
    I love all the ideas presented here. And like you, I'm taking note of them.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Yes, there are so many strategies that we could incorporate when we take note of them.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Sandi. What a great compilation of productive ideas. I am printing this out so I can read it again. Absolutely love the scripture and will add it to my collection and to use it as a prayer for my fellow writers. May include that scripture in my next newsletter to Inscribe SK members. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I, too, sometimes find such great value in collecting our InScribe writers' wisdom. Including yours. God bless you as you use this post as a prayer prompt!

      Delete
  4. I loved your splendid list giving us a peek at how other successful creative souls managed their works in progress. It stimulates my creative juices, and it creates in me a sense of being a part of this wonderful company of writers and artists. I often have a few projects on the go and will switch around as the mood or inspiration strikes. Thanks, Sandi, for this bit of inspiration and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brenda, for your thoughts. Shifting projects as the mood strikes is one refreshing advantage of having more than one project on the go. (As long as it's not an item under deadline!)

      Delete
  5. Michelle Strutzenberger4:44 pm GMT-7

    Thank you so much for this very inspiring and thought-provoking post. I enjoyed reading the wisdom of other InScribe writers, as well as learning about the balancing strategies of other authors. I personally like to have multiple projects on the go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. I'M like you. I think many of us have a number of projects on the go.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sandi! Thank you for this insightful message. I still concentrate on three projects. Two of them I have been working on for three years. In between these two I blog on our InScribe blog as well as lighter poetry. The lighter poetry, like poems on nature, offers an emotional respite from my more intense projects. One of my main projects is my grandparent grief poetry. The other project is developing an end-of-life ministry for our church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. This gives me a clearer idea of your projects. You're well organized!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.