March 15, 2024

O is for Object Lessons by Carol Harrison

 


Object lesson is defined in the Merriam Webster dictionary as a practical example of a principle or abstract idea. Using object lessons O is for Object Lessons

An object is not a new concept. Even Jesus used object lessons such as washing the disciples’ feet to teach them about servant leadership. I use object lessons when I speak to children at Bible camp but even the teen leaders and adults enjoy the small lessons to capture the audience attention and lay the groundwork for the Bible lesson to come.

Have you ever used object lessons in your writing? How did you incorporate them? I took many of the object lessons I had used at camp and wrote them as devotionals which I published in a little book called On Target. I want to share one of these pieces in the blog today.

The Jelly Bean Jar

I held up a jar of jelly beans. Bright colours of this sugary treat grabbed the camper’s and staff’s attention. I told them they had an opportunity to win the entire jar of jelly beans but a few rules must be followed.

Everyone leaned forward as if they did not want to miss one word about my proposed contest. The rules were simple. Each cabin had to work together to come up with their guess—yes teamwork—not an individual guess. They needed to find me before lunch, supper, or during free time, as a cabin group, leader included. This meant planning on their part. The jar could be held and observed but not opened or tampered with in any way. Once each group decided on their answer, they needed to write it on a slip of paper and deposit in my special container. The cabin with the correct number would share in the prize of a jar of jelly beans.

Hands flew into the air. Some campers stood up and waved to try and get my attention. The one question they repeatedly asked, “Do you mean the one whose answer is closest wins the jelly beans.”

“No. The correct answer wins. There is only one right answer and close is not good enough.”

Their second favourite question, “What happens if no one guesses the right amount?”

“Then I get to keep the jelly beans because I know the exact number in the jar.”

Groans and murmurs of ‘it’s not fair’ floated towards me as I repeated the instructions before dismissing them to attend their next skill. I knew if they didn’t come and find me before the deadline, I would search for them because I didn’t want anyone to be left out.

I loved observing the interactions between the cabin mates. The variety of ways they came up with to try and figure out the correct answer intrigued me. I answered their questions about close enough versus correct amount a number of times.

In all the times I have done this object lesson at camps, no one has ever guessed the exact amount. The closest has been two away. Each time I get to keep the jar of jelly beans as I explain how the Bible tells us there is one way to be right with God. There is only one way to heaven and that is through Jesus who died for us.

John 14:6 says, “Jesus answered, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Of course everyone wished they had got the right answer, but I had kept it a secret. God never keeps the way to Him an unknown. The Bible tells us the way is Jesus and nothing we can do on our own will make us righteous. It also tells us to share the good news with everyone. In Matthew 28:19 Jesus tells his followers to go and make disciples of all nations. I Peter 3:15 reminds us, “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience so that those who speak maliciously against your good behaviour in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.”

The good news of the gospel needs to be shared. It is not our secret to keep. The jelly beans were not mine to keep so I shared them with everyone.

 

 Carol Harrison loves using object lessons and everyday stories and objects as she shares the truth of God's Word with audiences of all ages.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful object lesson, dear Carol.
    I love how God still teaches and encourages us by this method. And as writers, we need to note those moments and share them with our readers. Thank you for faithfully doing that.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm and the fact that you use your talents for the Lord in these ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that object lesson!! I might use it sometime, if that's okay. I agree that object lessons are one of the best ways to get an idea across. Thanks, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:54 am GMT-7

      Please use it whenever you would like too

      Delete
  4. I wish I could have been a kid at camp when you were speaking. What a great lesson! Thanks, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Carol, for this story. How wonderful that life gives us many object lessons--lessons we give to others through speaking and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle Strutzenberger5:06 pm GMT-7

    Thanks Carol. I love your closing lines!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.