March 18, 2024

O is for Ordinary by Lorilee Guenter

 


This past week, I have stumbled across a number of quotes related to journeys. There is an excitement about the destination. New experiences, celebrations, and milestones all draw our attention. In between the milestones are everyday, ordinary events. these are part of the journey that at times we overlook, at least I do.

In the midst of planning, hoping and dreaming we encounter the moments of life. Some church traditions mark ordinary time. It is important. When I rush around, or when I fix my attention on that upcoming event, I miss the daily joy of being. When I pause, when I lean into the everyday experience, I notice details. Conversation flows as we enjoy a meal together. The ordinary becomes extraordinary as I notice and acknowledge God's presence. I am able to recognise His hand at work in the moment.

Rushing and wishing, grumbling and complaining,with impatience, not only lead me to miss what is in front of me, they block my creativity. This is not a surprise since I believe my creativity is a gift from God. It is one way we as humans can reflect God's image. Grumbling does not reflect His character. Rushing causes details to disappear that might draw us closer to Him. Stress of what might be clouds what is. Peace falters. My mind spins. I lose sight of the source of everything.

As I sit down to revise and edit, I realise it is only when I ground my characters in the ordinariness of life that the story begins to come alive. Those ordinary details set the stage for the journey that pulls the reader in. They are connection pieces. I can not include these grounding pieces if I haven't allowed God to ground me in the moment.

Recently I have been in a liminal space, a time of transition. I am not quite here and I am not yet there. It is a place of waiting, of trusting and of learning. It is a place God is reminding me that the ordinary, everyday experience is valuable. He is with me in the waiting. He knows what comes next and will show me at the right time. When I write a story, I am discovering as I go. Not so the author of my life. He knows me intimately and is gently guiding me into every discovery. He is shaping me by them.

This gives me confidence and comfort as I live out my ordinary days. It is my hope and prayer that as the next destination comes into view, I will be able to enjoy both the anticipation and rest in each ordinary moment between now and then. I hope you will join me in this. 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Lorilee, for this encouraging post. These words of yours bring great peace: "He is with me in the waiting. He knows what comes next and will show me at the right time."
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth Danna9:43 am GMT-7

    Well said Lorilee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This: "As I sit down to revise and edit, I realise it is only when I ground my characters in the ordinariness of life that the story begins to come alive."
    Yes!
    Thanks so much for this post, Lorilee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Lorilee. Like Wendy, this phrase resounded with me - “He is with me in the waiting. He knows what comes next and will show me at the right time.” Needed this reminder of the importance of ordinary time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this Lorilee! So often we dismiss the "ordinary" but it is so vital for our spiritual and emotional health. (Not to mention it is what makes up the majority if our time.) I like how you wove this important truth into the writing experience, too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle Strutzenberger5:08 pm GMT-7

    Thank you for this much-needed reminder, Lorilee. It is applicable both to my life and my writing. This phrase especially resonated with me too: "As I sit down to revise and edit, I realise it is only when I ground my characters in the ordinariness of life that the story begins to come alive."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.