March 20, 2024

O is for Openhearted Ramble: A Writer’s Struggle by Alan Anderson

 


Openheartedness, the free expression of one’s true feelings and opinions, is a strong focus of anything I write. Openheartedness can refer to being blunt or direct, but we do not have to be mean at the same time.

 

A ramble, whether in speech or written word, exhibits an aimless wandering on an erratic path through life. Readers may notice this post rambles.

 

What does a writer do when words will not come?

 

These past eighteen months have been a ramble for me because of a health condition that continues but is undiagnosed to date. I do not mention this for pity but to ask you, dear readers, a question. What does a writer do when words are silent?

 

I have been a contributor to this blog since 2015. This is the first post I have struggled with to write. The words crowding my mind argue with each other. They argue over how openhearted I will be in this post. Some words encourage this writer to be direct. Other words want me to hold back and ramble. How does one cope with such a struggle when words will not cooperate? Perhaps a ramble is the result and has a purpose.

 

Here is another question.

 

What does this writer do when words will not come?

 

An answer to this more personal question is, I write with my vulnerability. In this vulnerability, openheartedness is a companion to my periodic rambles. Today, as I sit with my laptop, it is two days before my post is due. Words in my head seem to have fallen asleep. This leaves me with another question.

 

Have my words abandoned me?


This question is torturous, yet I know words are beautiful. How can I express myself but through words, these darlings within my soul? Here, I continue to write, even words content to ramble.

 

If my words abandoned me, what would I do? Shut up my laptop? Throw away my pens and pencils? Burn my notepads?...No!

 

I pray to God, who has called me to write. I do this not as a simple solution, but for He who understands and cares. Prayer causes me to turn to the Great Author, our Master Creator. Through His words, He spoke all things into being and He can help me resurrect my words. This then causes me to turn to why I write.

 

To Whom I write.

 

I write to help others hope and to know they are not alone. I accept even my rambling has this purpose and is an answer to why I write.

 

I write to encourage those who struggle or feel abandoned by life to know someone cares. They may have ceased to keep their hope. This means my words can arise from their slumber, gather themselves, and realize we are all in the struggle together.

 

Dear writer and reader friends, please know in your struggles there is hope. Your struggles, as in mine, have a purpose even when we do not know what it is at this present time. Reach out to someone if need be and know you are not alone.

 

Take time with your words and love these darlings within your soul.

 

 




Alan lives in a small village called Deroche, British Columbia, with wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He enjoys walking on the dike near his home, where he finds inspiration for his writing. He occasionally writes articles for FellowScript Magazine and is a regular contributor to the InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship blog. His website, https://scarredjoy.ca, is under construction.


16 comments:

  1. Thank you, Alan, for reminding us we're not alone. Oh my, I can relate to your words. The following precious sentence of yours I need to take to heart: "Through His words, He spoke all things into being and He can help me resurrect my words."
    Blessings & prayers, dear brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wendy, your comments are always a blanket of warm encouragement. Our calling includes struggles at times. Thank God He never gives up on us. Blessings, prayers, and hugs, my dear friend.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your honesty, as always, Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. I am glad to read this. I am not alone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aritha! Indeed, you are not alone, my friend.

      Delete
  4. “He spoke all things into being and He can help me resurrect my words”. I love your words, Alan! I appreciate your open-hearted ramble. It’s full of hope. There have been times that my words have fallen asleep too. I pray that the Lord would strengthen you and resurrect your words just as he’s put Jesus’ resurrection power inside each of us who believe. Keep rambling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pam, I had a moment of hesitation before I posted the words. I also wanted to share this real struggle in hopes my words would encourage others. We are not alone even in struggles. Yes, I will keep rambling.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Alan, sharing our struggles encourages others. It's true we feel vulnerable doing so, but courage keeps us moving ahead. What wonderful counsel you've given us!

      Delete
    3. Hi Sandi! Yes, we may struggle, show vulnerability, yet also encourage each other. :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you, Alan, for this ramble. It's hard when words don't come. You are not alone and I so appreciate your honesty. It's encouraging to me to know that others feel the same way. I pray that our resurrected Lord God will once again give you the words you need, and, in the waiting time, that He would comfort your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lorrie, thank you for the encouragement of your words. I love how we can support and care for each other as writers who can be real with each other. Yes, God comforts my soul, my friend.

      Delete
  6. Valerie Ronald10:41 am GMT-7

    Dear Alan, your post brought tears to my eyes --- tears of empathy --- tears of understanding --- even tears for the beauty of words and their ability to evoke deep connection between like-minded sojourners. These words of yours resonate with me deeply: "I write with my vulnerability. In this vulnerability, openheartedness is a companion to my periodic ramblings."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Valerie, I sense your tears and receive them as a gift.

      Delete
  7. Alan, what a wonderful post. These words -“I pray to God, who has called me to write. I do this not as a simple solution, but for He who understands and cares. Prayer causes me to turn to the Great Author, our Master Creator. Through His words, He spoke all things into being and He can help me resurrect my words.” - the moment you wrote these words there was a transition in your piece. Divine intervention, if you will. Thanks for your wonderful vulnerability and honesty and for the encouragement to carry on. Will continue to pray for diagnoses for your health woes, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon! Thank you for noticing the transition in the piece. I sensed the transition as well when I was writing. I know I can "carry on," and my words will awaken again.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.