August 04, 2023

H is for Hook by Susan Barclay

 

I want you to read this; it’s important. 

image from Pixabay, ds_30

Did my opening sentence “hook” you? Did you take the bait? Did I make you want to read on, to find out why I wanted you to read, and why I thought my piece was important?

When we write to inspire, our first words or sentences must “hook” or engage the reader, inciting their curiosity and making them want to read further. If as a reader, you are like me, you know that an author has the power to invite you deeper into her work, or conversely, to send you looking for a different book, one that is more exciting.

According to the Merriam-Webster online dictionary, when we inspire, we spur on, we “exert an animating, enlivening, or exalting influence,” or we “influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration.” We encourage others, we motivate them, we offer them examples to live by, whether our own or others’ whose stories we have heard or created.

For samples of compelling hooks, I went to my own bookshelves, and offer these for consideration:

Meg, 1967.

A solitary little girl in a gray wool coat and red knit cap flitted through the snow, searching for a glimmer of gold. Someone had given the jingle bells to Mama for Christmas, and Mama had smiled when she hung them on the front door. So when the wind snatched the bells and spirited them away, five-year-old Meg was determined to find them and make Mama happy again.

~Sensible Shoes: a Story About the Spiritual Journey by Sharon Garlough Brown

As I read this opening paragraph, I want to know, why is the little girl alone? Where is she? Is she safe? Why is Mama unhappy? And because I want to know, I read on, and learn all about Meg’s sad childhood and the lack of connection with her mother. In fact, I end up reading the entire four-volume Sensible Shoes series, which I highly recommend to anyone.

His name was Jones. At least, that’s what I called him. Not Mr. Jones. . .just Jones. He called me ‘young man’ or ‘son.’ And I rarely heard him call anyone else by name either. It was always young man or young lady, child or son.

~The Noticer by Andy Andrews

In this example, I wonder, is the man’s name really “Jones”? And why is he just Jones? Why does Jones rarely call anyone by their name but by some kind of identifier instead? Who is the narrator and how did he get to know Jones? What is it about Jones that makes him an important subject?

As a result of reading The Noticer, a largely allegorical work, I end up reading this four-volume series as well. Compelling reading, for sure!

December 1950

WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND

George Henry Devonshire is only eight years old and he already knows the truth. They don’t have to tell him: the heart he was born with isn’t strong enough, and they’ve done all they can.

~Once Upon a Wardrobe by Patti Callahan

Yikes! Poor George Henry! Only eight years old, born with a heart condition, and by the sounds of it, not going to live much longer. Do I want to read more? You bet I do!

Perhaps it’s easy, you think, to hook a reader when you’re writing fiction. It’s true that not all non-fiction will have a hook. Think of an algebra textbook for example. (Shudder). But we can also write factual books with beginnings that appeal. Take a look at the following samples.

Thirty-seven is way too young to be having a heart attack, I thought, resting my hand on my chest and struggling to catch my breath. I’m sure it’s nothing.

~Flirting with Faith: my Spiritual Journey from Atheism to a Faith-Filled Life by Joan Ball

Was Joan having a heart attack or just panicking? What is making her struggle to catch her breath? Is it something or nothing? What's going to happen to her?

Young children danced in the downpour like it was the first rain-fall they’d ever seen. And it was.

~The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears by Mark Batterson

This downpour is the first rainfall they’ve ever seen? Really? When was this? Where? What happened? What’s going to happen next? How might this apply to my life?

As the son of a prominent evangelist, I’ve been privileged to meet many Christian leaders, but I never met another man who compared with Dr. Robert Pierce.

~Bob Pierce: This One Thing I Do by Franklin Graham with Jeanette Lockerbie

Dr. Pierce outshines other Christian leaders, including perhaps the author’s own father, the illustrious Billy Graham? How can this be? What is it about Bob that makes him so incomparable?

And finally,

The news was delivered like a blow on the chest by a heavy, fisted hand.

~thoughts of grace: inspiration and hope for troubled times by Grace Evangeline Oettinger

What news? Who delivered it? How did it affect the writer? Was there an actual fist involved? What inspiration and hope can a book that begins in such a fashion possibly offer the reader? Read on to find out!

Yes, hooks are powerful things. First words must be chosen wisely and carefully as a reader can be won or lost in the very first paragraph of a book. Take your time with these words, reread, revise, and repeat, until you are satisfied you can do no better. Share your opening words with your writing group, trusted friend(s), or spouse. What do they think? Would they want to read more?

Feel free to share a favourite first sentence or paragraph in the comments – your own or someone else’s. Let’s have some fun responding to them and considering whether or not they’re good hooks.

_____________________________ 

For more about Susan Barclay and her writing, please visit www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Michelle Strutzenberger6:44 am GMT-7

    Thanks for the reminder about the power of the hook. It's easy for me to forget as I muse and fret and worry about my overall work. I think taking special care with our hooks shows we are thinking of our readers. We are imagining ourselves as a first reader of our own work, and thinking of how we can best draw that reader in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I think taking special care with our hooks shows we are thinking of our readers. We are imagining ourselves as a first reader of our own work, and thinking of how we can best draw that reader in." Well said, Michelle. Thanks for sharing your response!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful post, dear Susan. Hooks are important for the author because they give us a motivation to keep writing. Hooks are important for the reader because they give us a good reason to keep reading. And hooks are important to the publishing industry because they give a compelling reason for an editor, agent, or publisher to get the book onto bookshelves.

    Genesis 1:1 is my favorite first sentence.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent favorite first sentence, Wendy! John 1:1 is another good one!

      And good point about the importance of the hook to the publishing industry, which is a crucial consideration if we hope to see our work in print!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for drawing us in, Susan. I was hooked from the first sentence. Great post.

    For me, one memorable opening line comes from Daphne du Maurier's novel, Rebecca: 'Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.' From that first sentence, the author begins to set the tone. I am immediately drawn in. Where or what is Manderley, why does she keep dreaming about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know you were hooked from the start, Brenda! And thanks for sharing a memorable opening line. I haven't read Rebecca yet, but it's on my TBR list, thanks to someone recently gifting my daughter a copy. I look forward to finding out why the narrator keeps dreaming about Manderley and where or what it is.

      Delete
  4. Susan! This is an amazing post. Each and every example further solidified your point: that first words are SO IMPORTANT! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Tracy! Thank you for the love :)

      Delete
  5. This is from the prologue of "Legend of the Emerald Rose" by Linda Wichman.

    'Twas known before the Isle of Britain's history was put to quill that bard Grat-Telor was as olden as the hollow tors of the Isle of Might. A crown of moonstone hair framed his cockle features, and though his vision was clouded, his brown eyes sparked with mischief and wisdom.

    Who is this old story-teller? Where is the Isle of Might? What is a hollow tor? What tale is this old fellow about to tell?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing these opening sentences, Cathy! Although I don't read much fantasy these days, they certainly spark the reader's curiosity! What on earth does "moonstone hair" look like, and what are "cockle features"?

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.