August 09, 2023

HOME by Joylene M Bailey

 


 
~~~~~

Home is an important place to me. The word Home conjures up feelings of safety, sanctuary, comfort, and freedom. I suppose someone psychologically inclined might say those feelings stem from the home in which I grew up. They'd be right. As long as I can remember, my home has been my sanctuary.

When challenged to Go Big or Go Home, I'll pick home every time.

The Cowboy and I have now lived in our new home in the country for fifteen months. We built it prayerfully and purposefully: Built for us, with others in mind has been the motto since the beginning. We've seen over 200 people come through our door, and for every single one my prayer and desire has been that they would find welcome, comfort, sanctuary. That they would feel at home.

It's only recently that I've come to the realization that my writing seems to be built on that theme as well. My characters are finding their way home in one way or another. My blog welcomes readers to feel at home.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. My writing reflects who 
I am.

A week ago, in the days following my godly mom-in-law's final home-going, I was intrigued to learn that she had never wanted to discover her spiritual gifts. Yet, everyone else knew what they were because they were so evident. They were part of who she was. And others were blessed by them.

In a small way, I connect that idea to my writing. Yes, there is a place for purposeful, goal-centred writing. But I believe my best work comes out of who God created me to be, and right now that seems to be someone who wants to bring her readers Home.

~~~~~

Feature photo by StockSnap from Pixabay.


Joy and The Cowboy love welcoming guests to their country home in northerly Alberta, where the coffee's always on (now that the new coffee maker has arrived) and there's always an extra chair for one more. Find more Joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy

15 comments:

  1. Even this post has that welcoming feeling, Joy! You have the gift of hospitality and it is evident in this piece. I felt that kind of "homey" feeling just reading it! Many blessings to you as you continue to follow God's call on your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. Such encouraging words. :)

      Delete
  2. The words in your post "welcome, comfort, sanctuary" settle in my heart. As I read your post, Joy, I feel a sense of being at home in your writing. Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I am at home in my writing. Thank you for pointing that out to me. I don't feel driven to "produce" but only to write out of who God created me to be.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, dear Joy.
    Home is where our hearts are because we're headed to our Forever Home. It's one we'll never want to leave and won't need to. I look forward to that. A. Lot.
    Thank you for reminding us of this.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your home says welcome in so many ways…the front porch, the back porch, the dog, the cat, my brother cooking breakfast, you just opening up your heart and home! Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "Anonymous." Your comment makes me think you could only be one of a couple of people. Thanks for finding me here!

      Delete
  5. Hi Joy! I'm a guy who feels at home in your writing. Home means a lot to me as well. This past year has presented me with a few health challenges. Home is a healing balm to me. Your posts of heart words are also a healing balm. Thank you for the timing and gentle welcome of your words, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, I'm sorry about your health challenges. I understand how Home can be a healing balm. I agree! Praying for you as you deal with the challenges, knowing that the LORD is close to you in wellness and ill health. As always, thank you for your encouraging comment.

      Delete
  6. Michelle Strutzenberger6:35 am GMT-7

    Thanks Joy! Your post stirred a sweet feeling of homesickness. I love your motto for your physical home - Built for us, with others in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thanks for your comment, Michelle.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6:39 pm GMT-7

    The blessings of your written words are so heartfelt. Just like seeing and hearing you last week. Your soul always shines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this encouraging comment.

      Delete
  8. You clearly have the gift of hospitality, Joy. How wonderful to share your home so freely with others and offer a place of sanctuary. And it's always neat when we discover a consistent theme in our own writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.