August 14, 2023

Holey, Wholly, Holy by Sharon Heagy

 


English is a difficult language to learn, particularly when it comes to homophones. Those sneaky words that sound the same but are entirely different in composition and meaning. Holey, wholly, holy.

Sometimes my socks become holey. Or my jeans, which, now that they are worn out at the knees, I can sell online for megabucks as they are in vogue. Items are created with holes like donuts, inner tubes and macaroni….and jeans. Creatures of all kinds live in holes, like burrowing owls, gophers and beetles. In the KJV of the Bible Jesus tells us that foxes have holes.[i]


Pins, awls, nails, shovels and backhoes all produce holes of varying size. Raindrops bouncing on a lake appear to be drilling thousands of tiny holes into the surface. It’s like the entire lake is being perforated. 

And sometimes holes appear unexpectedly. Leaving a north Saskatchewan lake where we have often gone fishing left heart holes. The towering evergreens whispering in the wind, the earthy smell of moss and the haunting call of the loon brought on overwhelming emotions, and I wept. Memories of bygone days washed over me. Memories of when our sons were young and warm summer days were shared at lakes and beaches with dear family members long since gone. The ache for those loved ones opened heart holes. Yet the recollection of those treasured times also warmly filled the wounds and brought comfort like hot tea and warm compote.   

As writers our stories often have holes that need filling before the reader can view the entire scene that we have in our heads. Finding that perfect turn of phrase will give the reader an ‘aha’ moment and clear up the foggiest writing. 

When we are wholly committed to our work, we will find that phrase. 

Wholly, entirely, without reservation. Are we ever utterly surrendered to anything? Perhaps for a time. Sometimes I feel like I am in the zone of wholly committed but then I get distracted. Whether it be with writing or daily duties or in my relationship with God. Maybe being wholly committed and focused is a goal like Paul talks about in Philippians, “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me….”[ii] Straining towards anything takes effort as does learning from past mistakes and letting go of them. Being wholly committed is a learning process.

Can you be wholly committed to holiness? I find I have complete lack of understanding of what it is to be holy. Merriam-Webster and Oxford talk about being consecrated to God or sacred, divine or worthy of complete devotion and trust. Set apart. My sense is these definitions miss the mark. Peter wrote, “just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do: for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy’.”[iii]  How do you do that? Be holy. Once in a while I think I have a sliver of knowledge about what it is to be holy but all that shard does is expose my unholiness. My thoughts and actions betray me and I know I am not holy. Holiness is entirely the business of the One who is holy. Only a holy God can produce holiness. Not that we shouldn’t strive to be holy, to pursue God and allow him to transform us but ultimately there is nothing in our power to make us holy other than submission, wholly submission, to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Only God can transform us and make us holy. And a blessed by product of His hand is the transformation of the words He has asked us to write. To make them sacred. To make them holy.

Have you any experience with holiness, fellow travellers? Please share. Perhaps my sliver will become large enough to let in more light. 

 



[i] Matthew 8:20 KJV

[ii] Philippians 3:13-14 NIV

[iii] 1 Peter 1:15-16 NIV

13 comments:

  1. Holy smokes! What a wonderful post Sharon! I loved how you "wholly" committed to the homophones but wove them together so expertly that one flowed into the next. This is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the chuckle and your encouraging words, Tracy.

      Delete
  2. Lovely thoughts here, dear Sharon. I agree holy is found through faith in Christ alone. Time spent with Him helps us don His holiness.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are always a constant source of encouragement, Wendy. I so appreciate your consistent commitment and heart of us all. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Sharon! You hit the nail on the head in describing what these homophones mean in terms of our walk with the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi. I treasure your responses, always. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharon. I love this post where you bring these homophones together. As for being "holy," I'm, how shall I say, under construction. I pray God will help me to be wholly committed to being "holy." Thank you for this wonderful message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ‘Under construction’….love that concept. Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts on holiness. Always wonderful to hear from you.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:42 am GMT-7

    What a beautiful post ... I totally connected with the holes left in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your heart holes are also able to find comfort in warm memories.

      Delete
  7. I agree with others impressed by how well you segued between homonyms, Sharon! Your question about holiness reminds me of the beautiful 'What Do I Know of Holy?" song by Addison Road. Are you familiar with it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Susan. I haven’t heard that song but I am checking it out even as I type this message. Love to hear new music and will be checking out the lyrics as soon as I post this message. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.