August 21, 2023

Habits by Tracy Krauss

H is for HABITS

Habits have a huge impact on the way we live life. Lately, I’ve been examining the effects of my habits, trying to root out patterns of behaviour that have unproductive—even destructive--results and replace them with alternate actions that will hopefully overtake the old ways.

(If, by chance, you happen to be following along in my devotional series, DIVINE APPOINTMENTS, this is something we should regularly do during this month: identify iniquitous patterns and replace them with godly ones.)

The word “iniquitous” sounds rather ominous, but I’ve found it really comes down to making the right choice. I can choose to believe God’s promises or I can choose to wallow in doubt. I can choose faith over unbelief. I can choose to rise early and spend the first of my day with God, or I can choose to stay up late watching Netflix. CHOICE is everywhere and extends to everyday things. I can choose to look after my body, the temple of the Holy Spirit, or I can continue over-eating and not exercising. “Choose you this day whom you will serve… but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord.” (paraphrased from Joshua.) 

My writing habits are no different. Like many other authors I know, I’ve gone through an ebb and flow when it comes to my writing. There have been seasons where I’ve written very little, due to busyness or just feeling void of inspiration. There are other times when I’ve been uber-productive. Self-discipline plays a factor, but I’ve found that establishing a HABIT is the most effective way to keep moving forward. I’m not saying I’ve always been successful, but I’m trying to re-establish this pattern so that it becomes habitual.

When I first started writing, I had an infant. I looked forward to nap time so that I could write. This afternoon appointment became a habit that lasted through my children’s younger years until I went back to work full-time as a teacher. For most of my career, I wrote in large blocks of time during the summer months or during spring break. Once I got published, I had to squeeze all the marketing and subsequent blogging etc. that went with the territory into my evenings and weekends. When I retired from teaching public school, (I still work as an online support teacher) I decided I needed to get back to a daily habit of creative writing whose purpose was not marketing or promotion. 

Some smart person suggested that writing appointments should be part of one’s weekly schedule. Put it on the calendar and stick to it, just like you would any appointment. During COVID, I found this really worked for me. It became a habit—one which I looked forward to each day. I also found I never struggled with writer’s block or any such thing during these times. I knew my appointment was coming up and so my mind and spirit were already primed when I sat down with my laptop.

The past year of moving and renovating really played a number with my habits. (Not just my writing habits, but other things like prayer, sleep and exercise.) These days I am trying to get back to habitual rhythms that are centred more on God. A recent seminar by Shelley Hitz where she encouraged a regular “Business Meeting With God” has been a wonderful reminder of the importance of including God in my plans. I have newfound vigor and excitement for some of my writing projects, some that have been languishing too long on my computer and others that are brand new.

Creating good HABITS is a choice. It’s actually quite simple, though not necessarily easy. 

____________________


Tracy Krauss writes from her home in Tumbler Ridge, BC. https://tracykrauss.com

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for your faithfulness in sharing excellent posts like this one, dear Tracy. All your suggestions are spot-on powerful.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I appreciate yoru encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this wonderful post, Tracy. In life, in writing, I agree it is important to form good habits. I had forgotten about “scheduling a business meeting with God.” Thanks for the reminder. (Also, I enjoyed all four of your ‘Divine Appointments’ books. Thanks for those)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon, for that encouragement! Many blessings to you today!

      Delete
  3. Tracy, you definitely are a teacher. You mention a lot of great ideas about our choice in creating writing habits. I am going to heed your thoughts here and see how my writing projects progress. Thank you, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once a teacher always a teacher, I guess! LOL! I am glad that you were encouraged and found something applicable, Alan. Be blessed.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous4:52 am GMT-7

    Thank you Tracie this was very soul defining I needed it and I’m sure every writer that reads it will follow and appreciate Brenda Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Brenda! God bless!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this post, Tracy. What caught my attention were two quotes: "identify iniquitous patterns and replace them with godly ones." and "includ(e) God in my plans"--so necessary. And a timely reminder for me! Thanks also for your Divine Appointment books! Such inspiring messages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi! I appreciate you taking the time to comment and your kind words.

      Delete
  6. I'm happy you've found renewed vigor and excitement in some of your writing projects, Tracy. I'm in a difficult season of eldercare that I find hinders my own writing, but you're right that we all make choices in how we spend our time, how early we get up/how late we stay up, etc. Going forward I will try to establish the habit of writing something, no matter how brief, each day. I am thankful for the "habit" of writing monthly for this blog. It is at least one writing activity I can almost always count on accomplishing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.