August 08, 2023

H is for Hero Maker ~ by Bob Jones

 


Not all heroes wear capes. But true heroes make heroes.

Hero makers have existed since the beginning of time. Moses was one. Elijah was one. So was Jesus. They put the spotlight on others. Only recently did the appellation "hero maker," popularized by Dave Ferguson, become a part of Christian vernacular. 

HERO MAKERS

Hero Makers live in the shadows, often nameless but faithfully embracing the role of supporting character. They don’t seek to be the central figure in the main plot. Instead, their main plot is to make heroes.

Think of Barnabas. He's one of my favourite New Testament leaders. He never wrote a book. He never led a movement. He never planted a church. Paul we know but who was Barnabas? But he was the hero maker to Paul. He was an encourager. The scales had barely fallen from Paul’s eyes before Barnabas had taken him to the apostles and vouched for him. Later, he took Paul to the Antioch church, ultimately setting him up for planting churches that would advance the gospel and change the world. 

"He (Barnabas) was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord. 25 Then Barnabas went to Tarsus to look for Saul, 26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people." Acts 11:24-26

Barnabas was the mentor who creates heroes that ultimately become hero makers. 

MENTORS AND BUDDIES

Everyone who posts on this blog are hero makers. Many of your posts contain links to shine on other writers. You are my mentors. I thrive through your posts and your comments when I post. 

Valerie Ronald posted in July about raising up the next generation of writers. She championed her creative writing teacher Miss Burgoyne and referred to Ruth, Tracy and Bobbi for their influence on a young writer, Joshua Heath. In 2020, Marnie Pohlmann tells of the spotlight shone on her by Tracy, Marcia Laycock, Ruth, and others that encouraged her love of writing. In 2015 Sandi Somers wrote how Catherine Marshall lit the fire in her creative spirit.

Alan Anderson, ever the encourager wrote, "...please persevere as you write and send your words into the world. The world needs us. Be open to God placing you in someone’s life as a mentor and see the world change."

Inscribe offers a mentoring program through writing groups and writing "buddies." Buddies meet at least once a month to talk about their writing goals, barriers, and other related topics. Writing buddies offer encouragement to persevere.

In 2016 myself and a friend started a writers group for Inscribe at North Pointe Church. What a supportive experience. For three years we met monthly, put each other in the spotlight, read our short stories, and offered written affiirmations. Hero makers all.

Who are you shining a spotlight on and turning into a hero? Thank you in advance for commenting.


I'd be honoured if you read my weekly posts at REVwords and even more if you would provide a guest post for my readers. 

Please email me if that interests you. bob.pb.jones@gmail.com

 

 


 


8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bob, for such an important post. Yes, hero makers make a huge difference in fellowships, creatives' lives, and especially in newborn believers (and in new writers).
    Heaven will shine a light on so many hidden heroes we had no idea about.
    When asked at a writing retreat to share something unusual about myself, I said, "I love to pray for people who have no idea I'm praying for them." A huge portion of my prayer list is praying for other writers. I pray for their faith, family, and publishing journey. It's so exciting to secretly rejoice with them when God elevates their work.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayer is a difference maker, Wendy. I like that, "praying for people who have no idea I'm praying for them."

      Delete
  2. Your post really touched my heart, Bob. it is such an important calling to be a "hero maker" and I am humbled that a few individuals have felt worthy to include me in that category. I, too, find our inscribe blog very encouraging. It is one of the characteristics of our entire organization that stands out. Inscribe writers love to encourage one another. I am so glad that you are part of this team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a hero maker, Tracy. Good to be a part of this team.

      Delete
  3. Valerie Ronald12:57 pm GMT-7

    Wonderful post, Bob! Hero makers often go unrecognized, so thank you for giving them the credit they deserve. These words of yours about hero makers stood out to me, "They don’t seek to be the central figure in the main plot. Instead, their main plot is to make heroes." Barnabas is one of my favorite bible characters too; such an example of encouraging others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had good examples, Val, as hero makers from Barnabas to writers at Inscribe.

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob! In writing this message you have given us a gift. Miss Gordon, my most favourite teacher in all my years at school, was a genuine hero maker. I only knew her for one year as a boy in Scotland but I loved her as a teacher. She believed in me and that was enough. Our own, Tracy, here in our InScribe family, invited me to write for the InScribe blog. I will always be thankful for her part in helping me grow as a writer. Glynis Belec, also saw something in me and invited me to co-author of the book, "Good Grief People." Our inspiring blog moderator, Wendy L Macdonald, encourages me every month to keep writing. These ladies, like so many other InScribers, are hero makers.

    Bob, in how you have written here I also know you are a true hero maker. Thank you for your heart words, brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, shining the spotlight on others makes you the hero maker. Isn't that so good about the way others gave us opportunity.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.