August 01, 2023

H is for Honesty ~ by Wendy L. Macdonald

 



Be strong and take heart,

    all you who hope in the Lord.

Psalm 31:24 NIV

A sweet friend of mine—who now resides on the other side of Heaven’s gate—often laughed at me. Whenever she asked me how I was doing, I told her. She said she loved my honesty.

Honesty is a good quality if it’s handed out with tenderness. Bluntness isn’t best for most interactions. 

I do have people in my life who are blunt with me. And I am with them. It works for us. But we also share a lot of kindness too. We’ve earned each other’s honest-to-goodness trust and freedom to shoot from a relaxed upper lip. 

We can speak deeply because we love each other deeply.

Readers love thoughtful honesty too. They appreciate from-the-heart poignancy. However, gratuitous writing isn’t wise for inspirational writers. Honest writing is wise when done well.

One of my favorite writing quotes says to “Be brave or go home.” (I can’t remember who said it.)  Honest writing takes bravery. In my June monthly newsletter to subscribers, I was more honest than usual. Hints kept showing up in my world that I needed a prayer team behind me. The closer we get to potentially publishing an honest book that will bless readers, the more attacks the enemy of honesty will make against us.

My honesty paid off. I now have a small team praying for me. Peace and enthusiasm have returned to my heart and pen. I’m not 100% out of the toss-in-the-towel woods yet, but so much good emotional and spiritual growth has happened since I asked for prayer.

I hope my example encourages you to be honest with your readers. It’s always a gift when we read from-the-heart writing. There have been times I’ve been awed and blessed by someone’s honesty.

Have you ever wanted to hug an author for making you feel less alone? I sure have. 

Each book Michele Cushatt writes makes me want to send her a bouquet of hugs. She cares about her readers. Her honesty helps us see and understand how honest we can be with God too. He’s not afraid of our bluntness when it’s expressed with faith that He sees us in our wilderness experiences. Like King David in the Psalms, we can bleed our hearts bare before our loving Lord. He sees. He hears. He cares.

Who is your favorite from-the-heart author? How does this writer’s work make you feel?  

Blessings as you boldly write for God’s glory,

Wendy Mac 

Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and podcaster who loves to photograph nature on Vancouver Island. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.” 

 


11 comments:

  1. Wendy, I want to give you a hug after reading this superb message. My tender heart has fallen into the honest warm arms of your words.

    My whole approach to my writing follows what you say. My tagline is, "Touched by grief, held by hope." With this in mind, honesty and being real is tantamount to anything I write. A favorite, "from-the-heart author," is Rainer Maria Rilke. His poetry is sublime, and moves me with its humanity.

    Dear Wendy, your post is a magnificent start to our August posts, Thank you, thank you, thank you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan. What an intriguing poet Rainer Maria Rilke is. I just read an Autumn Day online and found it poignant and beautifully written.

      I can see why he's a favorite of yours. His words touch deep and stir up compassion. Your writing does the same. Hmm...what we read feeds what we'll write.

      Blessings, dear brother.

      Delete
  2. In response to your question about authors who make us feel less alone... oh yes, three writers come to mind who have often reminded me that I'm not alone in my experiences and human emotions:

    - Henri Nouwen for his spiritual wisdom;
    - Anne Lamott for her raw, honest writing on the beauty and terribleness of life;
    - Sarah Clarkson for sharing her life through the eyes of beauty, truth, and honesty.

    Alan mentions Rainer Maria Rilke - let me also add this author to my list as his writings have often touched my heart.

    Thank you, Wendy, for your good thoughts today about honest writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda. Yes, Anne Lamott's writing is all that you say it is. I reread parts of her Bird by Bird each time I submit something to a professional. The writing life is humbling. But Anne helps us laugh at ourselves while reminding us we're not alone.

      Delete
  3. I had trouble coming up with an answer since there are so many that I admire... However, I do want to thank you for your honest post! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. We have honest writers here on the blog too. I'm blessed over and over again as I read what others contribute to InScribe Writers Online.

      Delete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger6:53 am GMT-7

    "The closer we get to potentially publishing an honest book that will bless readers, the more attacks the enemy of honesty will make against us." So true! Quite honestly, it can be terrifying to be honest/vulnerable. But I love your response - not retreating into dishonesty/disguise - but gathering a prayer team. I am inspired/convicted as I have sometimes held off on certain writings because of my fear of what being honest will lead to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Michelle. I'm grateful God grants us the grace and power to do His will. He never asks us to do things He isn't passionate to help us through. I'm a Jonah, a Gideon, and a Peter. But God is faithful in the face of my lack of faith.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this honest post, Wendy. A couple of favourite from-the-heart authors come to mind in answer to your question: Brennan Manning and Carol Kent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also meant to say thank you for introducing me (through this post) to the work of Michelle Cushatt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Susan, for pointing out a couple of your favorites. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.