September 22, 2020

My Shadow Life Mentors by Alan Anderson

 

“To those who were robbed of life, the unborn, the weak, the sick, the old, during the dark ages of madness, selfishness, lust and greed for which the last decades of the twentieth century are remembered.” —Schaeffer Francis A. & Koop, C. Everett, MD, Whatever Happened to the Human Race? (Fleming H. Revell Company, 1979).

 

 

When I think of shadow mentors who inspired me to keep writing, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, Francis A. Schaeffer, and Henri Nouwen come to mind. Each of them impacted me through their approaches in relating to the world. 


Dr. Kubler-Ross wrote her book, On Death and Dying, to discuss some emotional reactions of people who were dying. She referred to her patients as “teachers” so health professionals, 

 

“…may learn more about the final stages of life with all its anxieties, fears, and hopes. I am simply telling the stories of my patients who shared their agonies, their expectations, and their frustrations with us.”—Preface, On Death and Dying, 1969. 

 

Love for people and ministry to them in sensitive experiences in life led to my discovery of my shadow mentor, Henri Nouwen. Henri Nouwen’s books speak of the language of brokenness, compassion, and our place in the heart of God. In his book, The Wounded Healer, Nouwen notes wounded healers are, “the ones who must not only look after their own wounds, but at the same time be prepared to heal the wounds of others.” 

 

We may regard Christian writers who speak into the world with their words as wounded healers. None of us will go through life without permanent scars. Our lives because of our scars will assist us in our service to others. We do not waste our scars. 

 

Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer left his mark on the world with his outspoken defense of the unborn and his rejection of euthanasia. Schaffer offers a thoughtful examination of the West’s destructive assault on human life in his book, Whatever Happened to the Human Race?. The attitudes and practices he warned of in the 1970s show society didn’t listen to his prophetic writings and voice. 

 

Dr. Barrie Palfreyman rounds out my shadow mentors. He mentored me in with his heart for ministry and encouragement. He encouraged me to “take the plunge” in my quest to study for a Master’s degree. Barrie also served as my Seminary academic advisor. 

 

Barrie knew my heart for serving people and sensed my call to chaplaincy. His brief role as my mentor stands as a significant highlight in my life of service to others. Barrie died from cancer only two years after he encouraged me to, “take the plunge.” 

 

In people working their way through life I see the magnificence of God’s precious creation, His masterpiece. When I transitioned from pastoral ministry to chaplaincy my heart for people didn’t miss a beat. 

 

As a chaplain, my greatest honour was to sit by the bedside of a person in their last days, hours, or minutes. What a tremendous privilege to have a person near death to take my hand and smile. This is trust shown on an intimate and humble level. 

 

Each of my shadow mentors helped shape me as a person, a servant of God, and a writer. My shadow mentors remind me we are all unique. As writers, we have our purpose as we make our way through life. 

 

Beloved writer friends, please persevere as you write and send your words into the world. The world needs us. Be open to God placing you in someone’s life as a mentor and see the world change.

 


 https://scarredjoy.ca/




18 comments:

  1. Henri Nouwen is one of my favourite spiritual writers. And I remember gleaning beautiful thoughts from Francis Shaeffer way back when. I'm so glad you reminded me of these two, for they, too, were shapers in my own journey. Thank you, Alan, for this wonderful glimpse of how your shadow mentors molded and influenced your life ministry, including your writing. Your writing shows your compassionate heart for serving people so clearly and beautifully.

    Best blessings,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brenda! I see a meaningful contrast in Henri Nouwen and Francis Schaeffer. Although both were men of peace there approach to issues effecting people differed. Both loved people and cared in a deep way for the world. I couldn't help but be influenced by them.

      Delete
  2. Some deep thinkers mentioned here... I have admired Francis Schaffer's works such as HOW SHALL WE THEN LIVE? (among others) I am finding that as I read this month's posts, I am reminded of so many authors that have had an impact on me that I simply didn't think of on my own when I considered this month's prompt. In fact, I skipped my regular day and lent it to someone else - mostly because I was stumped at what to write! But reading each post has brought me to a place of gratitude as I consider those that have impacted my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! Yes, this writing prompt took me to thoughtful places in my mind. I agree with you about gratitude for those who have left a permanent impact on we writers today.

      Delete
  3. Alan,
    Thanks for sharing about your shadow mentors. My mom introduced me to the writings of Francis Schaeffer. Yes, unfortunately his predictions are coming true :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! I never heard any of my shadow mentors speak in person. I was privileged to hear Dr. Schaeffer's wife and daughter at a presentation in Vancouver years ago. His wife was an engaging speaker and I loved hearing her speak with passion.

      Delete
  4. This quote: “the ones who must not only look after their own wounds, but at the same time be prepared to heal the wounds of others.” is powerful and so true. I see your heart and your humility in your writing, Alan, and if it was these shadow mentors who helped bring you to this place, then God bless them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! Thank you for taking the time to comment here. Joy, I indeed thank God for my shadow mentors. We are all blessed to have a great cloud of witnesses who encourage us to persevere in our journeys through life.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that Barrie encouraged you to "take the plunge." Your heart for people is evident in all of your writing. When you mention our permanent scars, I can't help but think of the song lyrics by I Am They. Their song, Scars - "And these wounds are a story You'll use." So true - 'we do not waste our scars.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vickie! I appreciate what you say about my reference to Barrie. He is still alive in my heart. Thank you also for your comments about "scars." I'm going to look up the song you mentioned.

      Delete
  6. Your words have challenged me to persevere deeply with my own writing, and to seek those mentors who challenge me to grow deeper in the ways of humanity so I can understand how to serve the world's needs better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynn! Your comments humble me. Take heart, dear friend, I'm sure you heart and writing touch readers also in a deep way. We can also support each other as we stay faithful to God's call on our lives. Bless you, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alan, thank you for your thoughtful choice of writing mentors. I am challenged by your words, "we do not waste our scars." Whew! I need to tend to a few of my own! Your post expressed heartwarming gentleness and abounding compassion towards others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Thank you for your kind comments. I hear you about tending to scars. Isn't it wonderful we can encourage and support each other? Bless you, Denise.

      Delete
  9. Alan, I share your passion for the protection of the unborn. My dear late sister had Downs Syndrome and I believe I learned more from her than she did from me. She mentored me without words.
    Thank you for encouraging us.
    Blessings as you continue to write ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I pray your dear sister will be forever in God's memory. Terry and I have a granddaughter who is part of the down syndrome/autism community. She is also a tremendous teacher even in her young years. I can ask for nothing more than my writing will encourage people. Bless you, Wendy.

      Delete
  10. Of the books you mentioned, Alan, I have only read On Death and Dying by Dr. Kubler-Ross. I very much appreciated her perspective and lessons on this subject that has or will affect all of us. As for Henri Nouwen, I have watched some of his homilies on YouTube and one complete series. I googled this, but I don’t recall which one it was, as there are several. I often pick up his quotes, which are good mini-lessons. I’d like to study his work more. Thank you for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your shadow mentors who have helped shaped your ministry as a chaplain and healer. You've brought to mind some influential writers for me: the Schaeffers and Henri Nouwen.

    I love your challenge: "Beloved writer friends, please persevere as you write and send your words into the world. The world needs us. Be open to God placing you in someone’s life as a mentor and see the world change." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.