July 05, 2022

“Writer Interrupted” by Sandi Somers



I once said that If I were to write my literary memoir, I would title it, Writer Interrupted, because much of my writing life has wound through my experiences sporadically like a meandering brook, now appearing, now hidden under mossy grass.

 My writing success began early when I entered a contest in a Christian youth magazine—and won! Interestingly, this event didn’t birth a dream to be a writer. That came later.

  After graduating from university, I was invited to teach in a mission school in Colombia, South America. This was my first overseas experience, and I had so many interesting life experiences to journal and write to my family and friends.

 During this time, the first trickles of my writing dream began to appearAs I read books by Catherine Marshall to nourish my faith, I also absorbed her own story of becoming a writer after her husband passed. I was inspired to write faith stories just as she had done.

 However, when I came home from Colombia, I became engrossed in a new job as Teacher Librarian, and my writing stopped.

 Several years later, I discovered the devotional booklet, The Upper Room, and began submitting devotionals. Each of my earliest attempts was accepted.  My first entry was even anthologized and I was invited to write a seven-part series for their Upper Room Disciplines. In addition, after I queried The Quiet Hour, (David C Cook’s devotional companion to their Sunday School lessons), the editor phoned me—yes, phoned me—early one morning inviting me to write a series of devotionals. The genre of devotional writing seemed natural to me.

 Shortly afterwards I bought my first house, and my writing again flagged. Only occasionally did I write and submit an article. But over the years I was part of a local writers’ group that published our church newspaper, and I wrote an occasional article for our teachers’ professional journal. 

 Fast forward to the 1990s when I began teaching ESL. The cultural theme was a perfect fit for me. I had so many immigrant/refugee experiences to relate and so many cultural anecdotes my students told me. My writing momentum began again as I journalled and wrote initial drafts of articles.

 It was here I began developing my craft and vision, studying writing, taking writing courses and gradually planning different projects. Some ideas were workable, while others needed to be left in the back reaches of a closet.

 Several years ago I came to a crisis point, and prayed, “Is developing my writing part of Your plan for me, or is it just my idea?” Gradually God showed me that, Yes, His open doors of opportunity meant that He was guiding my writing. Then He gave me a special verse: Haggai 2:19: “Is there still seed in the barn? From this day I will bless you.”

 Sometime after I joined InScribe, I was invited to be lead writer for this blog; I also began developing monthly themes. Doing so has stretched my faith and writing, from my first tentative posts, to a variety of writing strategies. Comments from other bloggers affirmed and encouraged me.

 As I review my writing life, a number of themes emerged which I hadn’t noticed before. He gave me early success to begin my pathway. He provided major turning points, from the birth of a dream, to encouragement to grow in developing my gifts. Stopping when I had other demands in my life showed me that He was building my life with a breadth of experience and faith that I can bring to my writing. 

 Which brings me to today. I recognize how much the dreams He’s given us and our life stories are a vital part of the Lord's gospel narrative for the world. Sharing what the Lord has given me may be the key that unlocks the door to someone's needs.

 Though I haven't finished much of what I've dreamed of writing, the Lord often reminds me to keep faithful in creation and at the right time, He will open the way to greater publication. “Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will do it (1 Thess 5:24).



9 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed reading about your writing journey, Sandi. I did not know about some of your early "successes"! I also agree that your wide and varied life experiences are fodder for writing. Without them, you mightn't have the rich store house to choose from. You have been an inspiration for me (and I'm sure others) as the lead writer on this blog for so many years. Many blessings, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy, for your many encouragements over the years. I would agree that tucked away in our years past are many treasures of experience.

      Delete
  2. Dear Sandi, how gracious of God to grant you early successes to spur you on in your writing journey. He's faithful to complete what He's started in each inspirational writer's life. May we lean into this when interruptions try to disrupt our peace.
    Blessings - Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. Yes, the Lord is faithful in completing what He's started.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:04 pm GMT-7

    I too enjoyed this post. God interrupts us for a reason. I'm glad you resumed writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me that sometimes life interruptions are the Lord's interruptions!

      Delete
  4. Life rarely unfolds in a pure linear line; there are halts and detours and side trips along the way. I very much enjoyed reading your story, Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrie, for recognizing how the Lord guides us through life's twists and turns and side trips along the way.

      Delete
  5. Here's an excellent quote I found that's relevant to my post:
    Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
    anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.
    ~ Carl Bard

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.