July 21, 2022

Defining Moments On My Writing Journey - by Tracy Krauss

This month's theme is fascinating because I am learning so much about my fellow InScribe members! Some of the stories I'd heard before, but many I had not. Some are small or simplistic, but that is the beauty of the topic. Those little defining moments may seem insignificant on their own, but when woven together become quite profound. 

Here is what came to mind as I reflected on my own defining moments.

I have already shared on this blog about the time I wrote a play in Grade Four based on the book Ghosts Don't Eat Sausages. When my teacher saw me coaxing my ragtag troupe of actors into submission at recess, she made a way for us to perform the play in front of the school. We even made it into the yearbook! (That's me in the middle with the messy hair and glasses...) It was my first foray into writing and directing plays and the sense of accomplishment was strong. It may have been the seed that led me to become a Drama teacher for many years. 

The next memory is less successful, but just as defining for me as a writer. I wrote a story in Grade Seven or Eight about a teenager who flew to a small European country and ended up meeting a handsome teen guy... (who was actually the prince of the country in disguise!) As I remember it now, it smacks of a Hallmark movie! It was quite long and elaborate - and probably quite good if my mark and the teacher's response mean anything. However, she made everyone get up and read their story in front of the class. I flatly refused. As I recall, I got sent to the principal but I wouldn't budge. Perhaps I was embarrassed because of the romantic elements. My pubescent self would not risk the humiliation or potential teasing I thought might result. Still, it is a defining moment because I remember how lost I was in that story as I was writing it, but also the uncertainty and fear I felt about sharing it. Fear of rejection and imposter syndrome were already lurking. 

In Grade Twelve I wrote a story about a man who became a hobo after the great stock market crash in October of 1929. (I had probably just learned about it in Social Studies.) My English teacher praised the story and suggested I go to a writing camp for teens that summer. It was the first time I actually considered the possibility of becoming a writer, even though I didn't go to the camp. 

As a young mom, I started writing as a creative outlet when my baby was down for her nap. I had previously focused most of my creative energy on visual arts, but this seemed like a less messy and controllable alternative. It became a habit I never stopped. I accumulated four manuscripts before I got up the nerve to share them with someone. (About sixteen years later.) I shared with my teenage daughter, a fairly safe candidate, or so I thought. She gave constructive feedback which surprised me. I wasn't expecting her to actually have criticisms even though I had asked, but it opened my eyes to the necessity of sharing if I ever expected to get better. I was too emotionally attached to my own words to see them objectively and needed a fresh perspective. Thank you, Priscilla!

After that, I got up the nerve to start submitting. The rejection was often crushing, but I took it in stride and LEARNED from the feedback. (I'm still learning.) During that period, I can think of two specific times when the agent or editor took the time to give lengthy and detailed feedback. I wish I had saved those letters. (Yes, they were in PAPER form!) They were both defining moments that gave me HOPE. (And by this time, quitting wasn't an option.)

Fast forward a few years (and rejections) later. I had never submitted too many queries at one time, but since I was off work on medical leave, I decided to do a blitz. I sent 120 queries to agents and publishers, all of them mailed hardcopies in manila envelopes. It cost me more than $400 in postage and photocopying! Over the next few months, I got THREE requests for more! Those were such exciting moments for me. One was from Harlequin, but unfortunately, it never panned out. Another was from an agent who then declined. Still, I was happy to be taken seriously. The third was for a book deal that I signed in 2008 for And the Beat Goes On (now republished as Conspiracy of Bones.) I won't go into the long details of my publishing history, but having my first book published was a huge milestone! And yet, thirty-some books and plays later, I am occasionally still visited by that old 'friend', Imposter Syndrome... 

Landing an agent was another important milestone for me. At the time I thought it meant I was legitimate. He worked hard for me, even finding me a couple of book deals. However, it also was very enlightening in that it led me to the path of independent publishing I'm currently on. I don't regret the experience, but I feel like I've finally found where I am supposed to be. 

The final defining moment I want to share was the day I discovered InScribe. I happened upon it online when I was reading a blog post written by Marcia Laycock on an international bloggers site. I was blown away! A CANADIAN organization for Christian writers?! So far, I had only come across American groups. I was quick to join and went to my first Fall Conference in 2010. I was in awe when I actually met Marcia, not to mention Rudy Wiebe and Sigmund Brouwer. My first InScribe "friend" was Brenda Leyland, who graciously let me sit with her at the banquet. 

My journey has been long and winding with lots of bumps along the way. Sometimes it feels like I'm always chasing the next trend, but I've come to realize that my story has unfolded the way God intended, and I'm content with that.

_________________________________


Tracy Krauss
lives and writes from her home in Tumbler Ridge, BC. Visit her website "fiction on the edge without crossing the line" for all her titles.
https://www.tracykrauss.com


4 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Tracy, for not only sharing your defining moments with us, but for inspiring us to remember God's faithfully weaving His will for each of our writing lives.
    I love these words of yours:
    ...my story has unfolded the way God intended, and I'm content with that.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I sincerely believe that. Whenever the thought, "What's the point?" comes around, (and it does) or I feel envious of someone else's seemingly "instant" success, I remind myself of that statement. God is in control.

      Delete
  2. As a former student, I continue to admire your ongoing passion for the creative arts & thank you for sharing your words with us ❤️ Always inspiring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Justus!! So nice to hear from you!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.