July 19, 2022

The Written Word – A Vital Part of My Life by Elizabeth Volk (Guest Post)


Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

 

Early in life, I developed a love for reading and books. By junior high, writing was added to my literary list. And thus began my relationship with words. I wrote stories. I wrote poems. And I wrote in lieu of speaking. My most meaningful conversations with friends were via letters.

By the time I was in High School, I spoke very little on a personal level. I had some Christian friends who welcomed me back when I attended their youth meetings for a second time. I was recognized and acknowledged, which is much more than I got from the crowd I had, until then, hung out with. That drew me to Jesus, and I came home from a youth retreat at Briercrest Bible Institute (as it was then known) knowing HIM personally.

I continued to read and to write, and received my discipleship training via the printed word. The next major event was Bible school, and along the way, I was taught (by friends) to talk as well as write. I couldn’t believe that they actually encouraged me to say what was on my mind without carefully choosing words!

That was all many years ago, and much has happened in the intervening years. Yet, one thing that remains a vital part of my life is the written word. My vision is deteriorating and I have fewer opportunities to read and write, but it does not lessen my yearning to do so.

When I was first learning to express myself in writing, a song that caught my attention has within its lyrics the line “It’s only words, and words are all I have, to take your heart away.”  In a sense, this defines my communication – I am not in the habit of taking people’s hearts away, but I do seek to impact them with what I write.

The message I desire to share with others most is the Good News of the Gospel. I know that words are not sufficient – the things done display the love and grace of Jesus most eloquently. However, words can have an important role in helping people to understand and eventually express their faith. To confess Jesus as Saviour and Lord is a specific act that demands the use of spoken (or written) words. And the Word of God is, of course, written.

I do believe that the communication by word is as vital as the works we do to share the Gospel.  “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.” (Romans 10:17 ESV). There are many who are much more fluent in writing than in speaking, and at times it can be intimidating to be told we need to share the Good News vocally. Not all are gifted to speak – some really are gifted in writing instead of speaking. God uses both according to what He has blessed His children with. (And some folks read more comprehensively than they listen!!) The onus is on us to share the Good News – in whatever manner God enables.

 

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely and eloquent piece, Liz! It was so nice to "hear" from you! God has a plan and a purpose for you--and all of us--and writing is part of that, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:21 pm GMT-7

      Thanks for the positive feedback! Means a lot.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing a bit about your writing journey, dear Elizabeth. I also find it easier to communicate and comprehend through written words. Books, articles, letters, and emails can be read slowly so that nothing is missed and more is retained.
    Blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:23 pm GMT-7

      Thank you, Wendy! It is wonderful to get feedback - especially the good stuff!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you, Elizabeth. I'm more comfortable writing than talking. People often interrupt me and I lose my focus. But there's a time to speak and a time to stay silent. There's also a time to mow the lawn which is what I need to do.

    Bruce Atchison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:25 pm GMT-7

      Thanks, Bruce!! Appreciate the positive input!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.