July 14, 2022

The Flow by Sharon Heagy

 


    The past few weeks my husband and I have been bouncing along with our truck and trailer across the Prairies and B.C., through our gorgeous Yukon Territory and into the neighbouring and equally beautiful U.S. state of Alaska. Many bridges have marked our way as we crossed creeks, streams and rivers. Each body of water we crossed had a name of some significance. Some bore Indigenous names; some were named to honour an explorer or a colourful historical character and others were named for the surrounding topography or for an incident that happened in the area. There seemed to be no shortage of monikers. 

            Every creek crossed feeds a stream and every stream a river and the rivers all lead to another larger river and eventually to an ocean. There are short creeks and long meandering rivers. Wild water and placid ponds. What a vast assortment of tributaries.

            It occurred to me that my writing path resembles all these waterways in some manner. Most often it parallels a meandering river. Slow and somewhat steady. Sometimes a belligerent beaver dams the flow, reducing it to a trickle and other times the words flow out, tumbling pell-mell like a river suitable for white water rafting. 

            There are many tributaries that feed my writing waterway. Wonderful people who have encouraged me and helped me learn along the way, many from the Inscribe family. Authors who have written books on writing, and technique have filled my ongoing need to sharpen my skills. Teachers and workshop leaders have filled my head to overflowing with their vast knowledge and talent. And, of utmost importance, there are those who pray for me and alongside me and for whom I can also pray in kind. 

            And girding each creek and riverbed is God. He lifts me up over the rocky rapids and leads me to ‘still waters.’ He pokes holes in the beaver dams and lets His love and guidance pour through. It is He who will get me to the ocean, eventually. Until then my journey, in life and in writing, is in His hands.

6 comments:

  1. Having lived in the Yukon, I can imagine clearly your travels over the creeks, rivers, and streams on the way to Alaska. It is beautiful country. Nature inspires our writing, and teachers hone our skills, but it His guidance that "pour(s) through" it all! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sharon, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. What a wonderful metaphor you've shared regarding the writing life. So true. So beautiful.
    Amen to: "And girding each creek and riverbed is God."
    Thank you & blessings ~ Wendy Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading this, Sharon. Time bouncing in the truck leaves plenty of "scope for imagination" as Anne Shirley would say. Great analogy here. We're leaving next week for a similar trip, up through BC (from the Island), and to Dawson City then the Dempster to the Arctic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Lynn, I also lived in the Yukon and have visited a lot of Alaska, too. I know exactly what you mean about all those monikers! I love your metaphor for your writing life. Enjoy your journey - both travelling and writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your post, Sharon. Such a wonderful way of stringing together your writing journey with travel journeys you experienced and are experiencing. My wife and I have been to Alaska a number of times and will again in September, Lord willing. From the "rocky rapids," to the, "still waters," keep journeying on, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:43 pm GMT-7

    Made me wish I was there too. Part of my heart will always be in the Yukon

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.