July 20, 2022

Prayer for My Words by Alan Anderson

 


Early Years

 

Writing discovered me as a student in school in Scotland. My mind struggled in school from my early throughout the long tunnel in life from one grade to another. Subjects like math and science shunned me. We did not get along. English, Language Arts, and Composition befriended me. Words became my companions.

 

 

My English teachers in school were my main reason for persevering with other subjects. The subjects these teachers taught motivated me to want to know more about how to create with words. You see, I always had bunches of words in my head nagging me to get out. When I discovered my love, my absolute joy, for words, I had buddies for life.

 

 

As a boy I had challenges with people because of my shyness. I preferred to be on my own because this made the world safe. Shyness, at least in my case, took a lot of energy. I did not like hanging out with crowds. I usually only had two or three real friends. As soon as school ended each day, I headed straight home. My words were free to do what they pleased when we were home.

 

 

My Place in Life

 

When I was a boy words taught me how to find my place in life. There was a price to pay for shyness in school, and even at home, but the words of story tellers showed me a way to live. The stories spun by greats like Robert Louis Stevenson and Daniel Defoe allowed me to climb into my imagination.

 

 

In time the words of poets caressed my creative mind. How can anyone resist the poetry of Rabbie Burns? His poetic masterpiece, “A Red, Red Rose,” written in ballad form, allows readers to feel how intimate words can be.

 

 

By my senior high school years, I discovered Emily Dickinson, John Keats, Robert Frost, and others. Their poetic skill held me tight with a new way of touching the world around me.

 


Growth as a Writer

 

My growth as a writer took years. I hid my love for poems from a time in life where poetic words were mocked. My shyness held me back, but I persevered. I knew I would always love how poets speak into life.

 

 

I look back on my life and stagger at how the years flew. In this life I see most of my years are history. Poetry is now a dear friend and helps me offer word pictures of who I am today.

 

 

Along my writing pathway I am intrigued by and resonate with people the limelight is not interested in. The people who go about their lives not out to seek attention. They interact with the world in quiet, inconspicuous, almost invisible ways. They try to make the world a better place without fanfare. My words and written prayers are dedicated to them.


 

Prayer for my words.

I pray there will be times where my words are tears. May they drip down a page where every letter, every word, holds on to each other. They will remind readers they are not alone. I also pray there are times my words will present as puppies eager to put smiles on faces. Other times I send my words out into the world in hopes they will bandage gaping wounds which are a result of a broken world.

 

 

Dear friends, loved by God, who do you pray your words will reach? What prayer do you have for your words.

 

 

 


Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.


8 comments:

  1. Dear Alan, your prayer is a poem all inspirational writers would be wise to pray and live by.
    Thank you for blessing us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! While I wrote this post a thought wandered through my mind. How amazing it would be if we put together prayers as a group and shared them with readers. Thank you for the encouragement, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Many writers were shy children. I certainly was. Kids threw stones at me because I wore thick glasses and couldn't play sports well. My prayer today is that the Lord will use what I write to edify and convict people.

    Bruce Atchison and Delta the cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying with you, Bruce. I am happy you never gave up and continue your writing. Blessings to you, brother.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your honesty and sincerity as we get a glimpse into your early writing life. And thank you for your beautiful words! Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as well, Tracy. You have been an encouragement to me for years now. Blessings to you as well, dear heart.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:41 pm GMT-7

    The need and the will to write comes from different directions and impelled by different forces. I was an academic who HAD to write. When I retired I no longer HAD to write but discovered that I NEEDED to do so. What I NEEDED was to write different stuff. Creative non-fiction through my first two books of short stories published in the UK took me into poetry. Now prose sits alongside poetry in the stuff that is always going through my head. Sometimes it gets into the iPad and then into print.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:42 pm GMT-7

    Above post from Frank Wilson see frankwilson.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.