December 21, 2020

Meaningful Music - Tracy Krauss

My all-time favourite Christmas Carol is Silent Night. I wrote about it last year in December, recounting a bit of its history and my fond childhood memories of it being sung in German. (Sentimental Silent Night)  Since I don't want to repeat myself, and since so many others have already written about it this month, my thoughts went to other Christmas songs that I love. 

I could mention Mary Did You Know, What Child Is This? or O Come O Come Emmanuel. Trying for something less known, how about Third Day's Jesus Light of the World?


As I tried to choose just one song, I realized that I genuinely enjoy Christmas music during the holiday season - period! There is something about listening to Christmas music that puts me in the Christmas mood. I especially love old favourites like Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole. Christmas music - both old and new - is the perfect backdrop for baking, decorating, wrapping and all the other 'chores' that come with the holiday season. It brings me joy, no matter how many times I hear the same songs sung by different people. I also enjoy playing songs and carols on my piano. 

I suppose it speaks to the power of music in general. Music can have such a profound effect. It's why worship is so powerful and why I believe we must be mindful of what we allow into our minds through music. Isn't it interesting that this is one time in the year that the message of Christ can be heard coming from the mouths of both the secular and religious alike?

So, crank up the Christmas tunes, everyone and enjoy the holiday season!


Tracy Krauss
is currently serving as InScribe's president. She writes from her home in northern BC.  https://tracykrauss.com -fiction on the edge without crossing the line - 


5 comments:

  1. I like hearing the old favourites, too! Maybe that is why Michael Bublé has had #1 Christmas albums across the world--he reminds people of those old favourites sung my such legends as Bing Crosby. Enjoy the holiday season too, Tracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of, I have his Christmas album on as we speak!

      Delete
  2. I love listening to Christmas music while baking and gift wrapping too. And I also love hearing it as I shop. It's great that so many people are hearing Truth, and all the peace and joy that come with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, Tracy. I never tire of Christmas music. I have the same book of Christmas songs as you do on your music stand. ’Tis the season to sing these beautiful songs--old ones and newer ones.
    Blessings throughout the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.