December 03, 2020

Be Born In Me by Lynn J Simpson






Trembling heart, somehow I believe

That You chose me

I'll hold you in the beginning

You will hold me in the end

Every moment in the middle

Make my heart your Bethlehem

Be born in me


Be Born in Me, written by Nichole Nordeman


It was springtime 2013 when I first saw the double CD collection, Music from the Story, at my favourite Christian book store. It was the second Christian music collection I ever purchased, having recently started my Christian all-in journey. One CD takes you through the Old-Testament including songs dedicated to Abraham, Joseph, and my personal favourite, Ruth and Naomi. The second CD begins with “Be Born In Me.” Sung by Francesca Battistelli, “Be Born in Me” takes you on a journey with Mary as she comes to understand the significance of the message sent to her by an angel. 


Each song from the Music from the Story collection is written by Nichole Nordeman. Answering an interviewer’s questions, Nordeman tells how listeners can apply the teachings from each of her songs.



“I think one of the goals was to be able to listen to these songs and feel more connected to these people that walked before us and learned lessons that we’re still learning. There’s such a tendency to turn them into superheroes and have these big, takeaway, moral-of-the-story moments. For me it was all about the humanity. These were broken people who were desperate and needed God. They were just like us. I really believe that, and I think we forget.”


You can read more of her interview HERE. 


Upon first listening to “Be Born in Me” I was taken not only by Francesca Battistelli’s melodious voice, but also by the lyrics that depicted Mary’s insecurity and longing to please God. The beginning lyrics of “Everything inside me cries for order,” shows Mary’s teenage confusion of life plans. Later we hear “Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You chose me,” showing Mary’s acceptance and trust of God’s chosen path for her. Who has not been confused by God’s plan for their life? Who has not found themselves on their knees, trembling before our good God surrendering to His sovereignty? Yes, Nordeman did well showing how Mary is just like us—broken and desperately needing God. Yet, still chosen. 


May you go into this Christmas season knowing that no matter how much your insides cry for order and everything in you wants to hide, God is holding you from the beginning to the end. You are His chosen one. 


1 Peter 2:9


But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;


Ephesians 1:11, NLT: "Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for he chose us in advance, and he makes everything work out according to his plan."

3 comments:

  1. This sounds very meaningful... I had not heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are impactful: "Mary is just like us—broken and desperately needing God. Yet, still chosen." Thank you for these thoughts and for introducing me to this beautiful music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Did You wrap yourself inside the unexpected
    So we might know that love would go that far?"

    You have chosen one of my favorites too, Lynn! The above stanza says it all. How God came to earth in the form of an infant is a mystery we will never comprehend fully, but we can experience the love it took to "go that far", every day. Thanks for sharing, and have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.