December 07, 2020

Mary Did You Know? By Vickie Stam

 Every year music is one of the most warm and inviting things about Christmas. So many beautiful songs help usher in the Christmas season. They can be heard everywhere from inside your home, your car and even while you're shopping.

When I was a child my mother played her favourite albums by singers such as, Burl Ives, Gene Autry and Bing Crosby. So many wonderful songs filled our home. Songs about sleigh bells, reindeer, winter wonderlands, Santa Claus and Jesus. It was a magical time of year. 

Years later, I find it difficult to choose an absolute favourite, but there is one song that I could listen to over and over - Mary Did You Know? This song is captivating!

Beautifully written by Mark Lowry and its music was written by Buddy Greene. It is one of those songs that can trigger a slew of emotions. I never know which one will let loose. The song is a narrative that is centred not only on Jesus, but on his mother, Mary. It's a story filled with wonder, love, redemption and miracles. Sung in a gentle manner its tender tone can cause me to cry at the mere thought of kissing the face of God or smiling when a blind man can see. 

The lyrics are full of insight and yet full of wonder as well. I can hardly imagine what Mary must have been feeling - a young girl giving birth to a baby boy who would one day save the world. 

Mary did you know is one of those songs that has been recorded and performed by many different musician. Mark Lowry also recorded the song along with the Gaither Band on their Christmas album in 1998 - Still the Greatest Story Ever Told. Wow! I can't think of a better way to describe this song.     

      

5 comments:

  1. I also love this 'new' classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of those 'modern' Christmas songs that feels annointed. I love it also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it as well. Thanks for sharing this peice about such a fabulous song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Still the greatest story ever told. I really liked the song as well when sung by a Canadian Idol winner years ago! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love love this song too! The thought of kissing the face of God gives me shivers too, Vickie! Great song choice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.