December 12, 2020

Silent Night - Guest post by Kathleen Friesen


A few years ago, lights from the Christmas tree reflected on my piano’s glossy surface as I opened my new music book, a gift from our church, to one of my favorite Christmas carols, “Silent Night.” My husband wanted to watch the news on TV, so I plugged in the headphones that directed sound from the electronic instrument to my ears only. 

This arrangement of “Silent Night” began simply with the soothing melody. 

Silent night, holy night 

All is calm, all is bright.

’Round yon virgin Mother and Child

Holy infant so tender and mild,

Sleep in heavenly peace

Sleep in heavenly peace.

I played on, following the written score as it added harmonies, point and counterpoint.

Silent night, holy night. 

Shepherds quake at the sight.

Glories stream from heaven afar;

Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia!

Christ the Savior is born

Christ the Savior is born.

But then the newscast behind me intruded. Some poor homeless man had been found nearly frozen to death. War had erupted in two more areas, details to follow. Financial gurus predicted hardships in the New Year. On and on, bad news assaulted my ears as my fingers played.

Silent night, holy night 

Son of God, love's pure light

Radiant beams from thy holy face

With the dawn of redeeming grace,

Jesus, Lord at thy birth

Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

The contrast jarred me. Today, we endure a pandemic and global political unrest and injustice, but wars, brutality, tragedy were just as prevalent when Jesus took on mortality. Consider what happened shortly after the visitation from the wise man: Herod ordered all little boys up to two years of age to be slaughtered. Oh, the horror! The incredible grief! Where childish laughter had filled the air, screams of agony rang. 

I shook my head with the awareness that dreadful times are nothing new. The world needed and still needs the healing comfort of redemption, which only comes through Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection.

Redeeming grace is God’s gift to us. Hardships and trauma still surround us and affect us, but because Jesus gave up Heaven’s glory to live in our mess, we have hope. What a wonderful reason to celebrate!

Today, joy brings tears to my eyes as I play,

Silent night, holy night!

All is calm, all is bright.

’Round yon virgin Mother and Child

Holy infant so tender and mild,

Sleep in heavenly peace

Sleep in heavenly peace.

May all the blessings of Christmas bring peace and joy to you and yours.

___________


Kathleen Friesen
has always loved to lose herself in a good story, especially tales of love and faith that overcome. These days, she'll often get lost in her current work in progress, whatever it may be. Kathleen's stories invite the reader to risk faith, dare to love, and enjoy the results.

When she’s not at the keyboard, you can find Kathleen gardening, visiting with friends old and new, or helping her husband renovate their house. When the renovations are finally done, there may be a party.


8 comments:

  1. I think Silent Night is also my all time favourite. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy, for the opportunity--and reminder. :)

      Delete
  2. I love these truths you shared, Kathleen:
    “I shook my head with the awareness that dreadful times are nothing new.” and “Redeeming Grace is God’s gift to us”. Even though not all is calm and bright we have purpose, hope, and a most beautiful reason to celebrate. Thank you for this reminder! Loved this post. ❤️🌸

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God for His indescribable gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad that children aren''t taught why the lyrics matter in those songs. I couldn't figure out how a night could be bright. Fortunately, our music teacher told us that the stars were bright.

    I also think it was a wondrous event when a German soldier started singing that song on Christmas Eve, 1914 and it got both sides singing the song. They all spent Christmas day exchanging gifts and playing football. Everybody was sick of trench warfare and they all disobeyed their commanders. For one day, God's peace reigned. I look forward to the day when it will be here eternally.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.