December 24, 2020

Handel's Messiah, Our Messiah ~ Valerie Ronald

 

             

 

I first experienced the majesty of Handel’s musical oratorio, Messiah, in a quaint stone church that had been converted into a community theatre. My enjoyment of classical music had been nurtured through my daughter’s education as a pianist through the Royal Conservatory of Music. She chose just the right Christmas gift with this musical evening out for both of us.  

Once the performance began, the stuffy, overcrowded theatre was soon forgotten as the beauty and grandeur of Handel’s music captured me. The instrumental ensemble and choir were small, the soloists gifted amateurs, yet their ardent presentation revealed true hearts for the music. I knew Handel’s famous oratorio was about Jesus Christ, but was surprised to hear verbatim Old Testament prophecies beautifully set to music, foretelling the coming of a Messiah, a Savior for all people.

I felt a thrill in my soul when the choir burst forth with, “Who is the King of Glory? The Lord of Hosts, He is the King of Glory.” (Psalm 24:10)

But nothing prepared me for the emotional impact of the renowned Hallelujah Chorus. All around me people rose to their feet as the glorious anthem rang out. By the time the last “Hallelujah!” faded, I too, was on my feet with tears streaming down my face. I felt as if a portal of heaven had opened so we could hear the angel chorus and experience a foretaste of being in God’s presence.

To this day, whenever I listen to Handel’s Messiah, I am overwhelmed with the majesty of God and awe at His divine plan to give us His Son in order to free us from our sins. Spirit-inspired music, biblical text so skillfully, at times brilliantly, assembled, combine to transport me out of my common humanity and lift me into transcendent worship. 

 

Handel’s Messiah has become a musical institution, traditionally performed at Christmas by choirs around the world. In 1741 George Fredric Handel composed the music for the world-renowned oratorio in a mere three weeks, after reading scripture passages and excerpts from the Book of Common Prayer compiled by his friend, Charles Jennens. History records that upon reading the texts, Handel was so overcome with their power that he shut himself in a room and worked day and night composing, often forgetting to eat. His servant sometimes heard his sobs as he labored over the inspired text. At the end of his manuscript Handel wrote the letters "SDG"—Soli Deo Gloria, "To God alone the glory.”

Handel is quoted exclaiming as he wrote the famous “Hallelujah Chorus”, “I did think I did see all Heaven before me, and the great God Himself!” At a performance of Messiah in 1759, honoring his seventy-fourth birthday, Handel responded to enthusiastic applause with these words: "Not from me - but from Heaven - comes all."  

Jennens, who compiled the scripture passages of Messiah, prefaced the first edition of the libretto with the scripture, “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.” (1 Tim. 3:16 KJV)  

Jennens chose the scripture passages for Messiah to illustrate the person and work of the Lord Jesus as summarized above. The great mystery alluded to in the prophetic passages of Part 1 of the oratorio, is realized as God manifest in the flesh through the incarnation. Part 2 focuses on Christ’s redemptive work on earth and Part 3 culminates with His resurrection and future reign. Throughout Messiah, composer Handel employs a technique called text painting, where the musical notes mimic the lines of text. Therein lies the reason for Messiah’s power and longevity. Given the God-breathed words of scripture concerning Christ, combined with the God-given musical gifting of Handel, this timeless classic continues to inspire its listeners to rise to their feet, a custom established since England’s King George II rose at the first Hallelujah of the famous chorus in 1743.

For the Lord God omnipotent reigneth.
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
The kingdom of this world
Is become the kingdom of our Lord,
And of His Christ, and of His Christ;
And He shall reign for ever and ever.
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6_nJ11BgTE&list=RDu6_nJ11BgTE&index=1
    




Valerie's devotionals can be read on her blog https://scriptordeus.wordpress.com




3 comments:

  1. I've been blessed to see Handel's Messiah performed at the Winspear Theatre in Edmonton multiple times. I pray the custom continues! Thank you for teaching me the inspiration and work that went into creating this timeless classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended a Handel's Messiah live performance once about five or six years ago when my daughter was part of the choir. Thank you for sharing today and may God bless you in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of how Handel wrote The Messiah with such focus, love, and musical talent. Three weeks is a short time to come up with such a magnificent offering, but it’s a long time to work with such intensity and dedication that he barely took time to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.