December 18, 2020

Do You Know The Way? ...to San Jose? by Sheila Webster



Which Way Do We Go?

Directions are an important part of life and many songs have been written about direction such as, “Do you know the way to Santa Jose?” to the  “We Three Kings of Orient Are.” Humans are always following something or looking for direction.

There are those that go their own way as outlined in the early Fleetwood Mac song “You Can Go Your Own Way.” Others may realize that going back to the beginning brings some clarity as in Steve Bells’ pop-folksy trans-seasonal classic, “Turn it Around.” There are a multitude of other ‘directional songs over the decades and centuries.

The first picture in this blog was taken this past week at a camp I have loved for two decades.  I love that it tells newcomers where they can find the important things in life - the beach; a shower or a sanctuary for their soul. Sounds like some good self care!

The latter picture in my directional set was also taken this past week at a drive-through live nativity scene - I think I loved the picture more than the experience as it took me back in memory to my time kicking around the hills of Bethlehem, Jerusalem and Nazareth. 

The drive through experience became an excruciating forty minute wait in a long line of restriction bound citizens who longed for a glimpse of Christmas past and connection.  Ten minutes in I wished I could ‘turn it around,’ but the bumper to bumper sightseers prohibited such an exodus.

The din in my car was reaching epic proportions from my sometimes rude little rabble-rousers and quickly took the joy out of showing  them the sight.  Although the requisite “awe” over the live nativity and follow up “can we pet them” inserted itself, soon the anticipated bloodied noses from sibling rivalry exploded in my backseat. It was a bizarre ride to the end as sweet Christmas music contrasted the scene in my car. As we left the parking lot briefly I opened my drivers window so the parking lot ushers could shove a long pole laden with a handmade wire star tree ornament and a holiday card. They looked slightly shocked at the wailing emitted through the cracked open window and my terse thank you. I am absolutely positive they would pray for my salvation.




Life is a moment by moment course of action, we are all headed in a direction, often following someone, sometimes we even want to exit and do our own thing.  The message of 2000 years ago is even more poignant today as we all feel a darkness close to us and long for a star to guide us. We crave our tribes to travel with through the darkness to find hope underneath that guiding light.  

In whatever direction you are headed this season be assured there are other travellers looking for the hope at the end of the destination who may need your words, your song or your unique perspective on the journey.

Sheila Webster

7 comments:

  1. I hate the greed fest and the lies parents tell to children. "Be good or Santa won't bring you anything," parents warn. I took it hard when Mom told me it was she who gave me only a mouth organ for Christmas. I didn't know that Christ was in Christmas until my grade 2 teacher taught me how to spell it on a card. To me back then, the birth of Jesus was just a story. When I found that Santa wasn't real, I hated my parents for betraying my trust. Later in life, a cultic church betrayed my trust in God with their mantra of having enough faith to be healed. They knew nothing of God's providence but I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the scene you painted with the kids screaming in the backseat during what should have been this hallmark moment! Well, life isn't really like that, is it? It made me smile (at your expense - sorry) but also reflect on the reality that we all need Jesus in everyday moments. We often set ourselves up for these types of unrealistic 'Christmas' memories. (I have too many memories of my own kids FIGHTING terribly while playing games - something that is supposed to fun!!) Often it's the simple, unplanned moments that really stick. Blessings friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, I remember my days of youngsters brawling in the backseat. I may have threatened that I would force them out of the car and make them walk to the exit, even though the restrictions are going on! lol! It's so true that our expectations can steal our joy and wear us out. Peace is really a heart state even in the chaos of the outside world. May you have a peaceful and joyful heart on your journey, whatever that looks like, this Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post!! ❤️😂 Sheila, I feel for you! I’m thankful those days are behind me (other than grandchildren tousling!). Bless you for being willing to go through all that again! And I loved your comparison to how we are all on a journey, looking for direction, and sometimes we just want to hop out and leave this old world behind! May the Lord watch over you and give you strength!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Sheila. Loved the irony of doing a Christmas moment while kids fought in the back seat. So true, so real. When our family visited Disneyland many years ago, our girls got a kick out of searching for fighting families at “the happiest place on earth.” Not hard to find. Love this post and how you wove the theme of direction throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen?! Having been told my chronic shingle pain will never go away is not something I would wish on anyone. Because of it I no longer have the energy physically or emotionally to meet unrealistic expectations coming from myself or other people. Spiritually? I am learning what “God with us “ really means in my life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.