December 09, 2020

Musical Memories of Christmases Past by Steph Beth Nickel


Have you ever felt as if your life has a theme song? It’s interesting to contemplate what it might be.

Music is an important part of our lives, likely more than we realize.

Music is intricately connected with memory. How many of us can remember the lyrics to songs we heard when we were children and teens?

And, if we grew up in church, we may remember all the verses to the hymns we heard Sunday after Sunday.

Without a doubt, music affects—and reflects—how we feel. We may listen to music that expresses what we’re feeling at any given time or we may listen to music that will help us move beyond how we’re feeling.

And Christmas music? Well, it definitely stirs up lots of emotions, many of them linked to our experiences of Christmases Past.

Those of us who get “the warm fuzzies” when thinking about the Christmas season may welcome even the Muzak that filters over the speakers in Walmart and other retail stores. We may frequently request that our Alexa device play “Christmas music” or “Christian Christmas music.” Since I’m a fan of the Trans Siberian Orchestra, I ask it to play their music daily. (They’re the only metal band I listen to.) And where would our favourite Christmas movies be without their soundtracks?

But Christmas music, whether TSO or Bing Crosby, doesn’t fill everyone with feelings of joy and peace. Many people are missing loved ones who are no longer with us. And this year, many of us are struggling because we won’t be able to be with friends and family members because of COVID. And, for all too many, Christmas is a reminder of pain and heartache from Christmases Past.

Although you may not be able to avoid Christmas music altogether, if you fall into the category of those who have unpleasant memories connected with the season—or simply don’t enjoy Christmas music—you may prefer to play your favourite music in your home, your car, or on your earbuds practically anywhere.

So, getting back to theme songs. Based on Johnny Reid’s “Today I’m Gonna Try and Change the World,” I pray each morning that I will leave the world a better place at the end of the day than I found it when I woke up.

And my favourite Christmas songs?

“You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” from the original cartoon as well as the Whos’ song bring back happy memories of my childhood. (I also enjoy the Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “Grinch.”)

Our family watches “The Muppets Christmas Carol” pretty much every year. I’m fond of the entire soundtrack, but the one song that sticks out most prominently is the song they sing when Scrooge first appears. Fun and so catchy!

But, of course, the most important Christmas of all happened two millennia ago. “One Small Child” is my favourite traditional carol. My favourite “contemporary” Christmas song is Point of Grace’s “Labor of Love.”

How about you?

Here are some questions to consider:

What would your theme song be?

How do you feel about Christmas music? Why?

Which Christmas song(s) do you never get tired of hearing?

Steph Beth Nickel is a freelance editor with over 10 years of experience. Steph is also an author and blogger. She lives in Southwestern Ontario Canada and has three grown children and a daughter-in-law. A second daughter-in-law will be added to her family next summer. You can contact her at nurtureandinspire@gmail.com Ladies, you are invited to join her Nurture and Inspire Facebook group.

4 comments:

  1. I'd never actually listened to (or heard of) the Trans Siberian Orchestra so I looked them up - and I love them! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Muppets Christmas Carol brings out a lot of memories! I haven't heard of a few of these songs and artists you shared, so will be looking them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your song titles bring back such good memories, especially One Small Child, and the Grinch song. I will look up the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I thought it was just regular orchestra music. Haha.
    My favourite song is “Light of the World, You stepped down into darkness”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life song is "I Am a Rock" by Simon and Garfunkel. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.