January 23, 2020

At My Right Hand by Joy Bailey







**********

I have yet to meet an accountant who is not methodical in their ways.

Forgive me if that sounds like typecasting. It’s really not. 

The accountant who used to do our taxes, before he retired, was tall, bean-pole thin, with long bony fingers that were never still. He had a receding chin and a 1970’s-style moustache, and he liked to talk about racehorses. A unique character. 

But when it came to doing his job, he was very methodical. Every piece of paperwork we gave him was placed neatly on his desk, with the edges squared up. Like-documents were dutifully paper-clipped together. His pen was always in his upper left shirt pocket.

Likewise the business we use for our home insurance. It is a family-run business, where all of the agents and technicians share common offices. We have met with one young agent several times, each time in a different office. But every office is identical in the way it is set up.

Because I’m a student of human behaviour, I took note of this young agent’s demeanor. He was efficient and focused. I believe one of the reasons he could be so was because no matter which office we met in, his tools were always in the same location. Computer on the desk, stapler in the top left drawer, calculator in the right. He didn’t have to stop to think where to find the tools of his trade. They were right at hand.  

**********

I know that Bible commentaries tell us “at my right hand” is significant because 
In biblical times, the right hand was the most distinguished position, reserved for one’s chief adviser and supporter.  

And

… a position of defense or protection. To have one at our right hand is to have one near us who can defend us. 

But the very first thing that came to my mind when the LORD drew me to Psalm 16:8 as my verse for this month, if not the whole year, was the picture of that young insurance agent reaching into his right drawer for his calculator, without even thinking about it.

Because I have set the LORD continually before me, He is within easy reach. I don’t even need to think about it. It should be a natural reflex to reach for Him no matter the circumstances. 

Like a child reaching for her father’s hand, certain it will be there every time. 

**********

I have set the LORD continually before me;
Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Psalm 16:8

**********





Joy lives and writes in Edmonton. 
You can find her at Scraps of Joy.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, He is there without us ever having to look for Him! Wonderful analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, if we could just remember to reach for Him instead of bawling about our circumstances. ☺️

      Delete
  2. My grandson is 3 months old and in awe of his hands! This spurs me on to write about our wonderful hands and what it is like to discover how to use them! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, that’s such a special age, and oh how fast it goes by! Write about this while the idea is fresh!
      Often, when I think of hands, I think of my grandmother’s small and busy hands. Busy crocheting or cooking or gardening. But still, in her lap when praying, with a hankie tucked in one fist for her tears. She always cried when she prayed.

      Delete
  3. "It should be a natural reflex to reach for Him no matter the circumstances." I find it so in my own life.

    Love this line: "Like a child reaching for her father’s hand, certain it will be there every time." Such a trustful knowing.

    Enjoyed the analogy. No wonder you thought of these methodical fellows as you considered your chosen verse. A fitting pairing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “A trustful knowing” ... I love that phrase! Thanks Brenda.

      Delete
  4. I just loved the descriptive quality of this post. I can just imagine it, and what a wonderful way to point to God's faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 Great is His faithfulness! If only I’d remember that more often. 😊

      Delete
  5. Having proven faithful in the past - one doesn't hesitate to reach out/call out in a time of need. Thank you, Joy. A timely reminder that the Lord is always at our right hand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.