June 16, 2019

Hope Beats Fear by Nina Faye Morey




Long ago God spoke in many different ways to our fathers
through the prophets, in visions, dreams, and even face to face,
telling them little by little about his plans.
~ Hebrews 1:1 TLB

“Hope Beats Fear” is the title of an article I wrote about my personal struggle coping with cancer that was published in the February 2014 issue of the Canadian Messenger. The goal of this monthly magazine was to help readers with their daily Christian living. This article was one of several articles and short stories that I was fortunate to have published in this magazine.

When I first received my devastating cancer diagnosis, I felt a deep sense of fear. My reason for sharing my story with others facing this kind of fear was to speak to them about the comfort I experienced when I placed myself in God’s hands and refused to let my fear evaporate my hope and erode my faith. Therefore, it was extremely gratifying when I received this comment from the magazine’s associate editor: “…one of the most uplifting articles I have ever read.”

For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God’s word,
but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, 
in the sight of God we speak in Christ.
~ 2 Corinthians 2:17 ESV

God made me a writer. As a Christian, I believe He has called me to use my gift with words to serve Him and minister to others. God intends me to use my creativity not only as a means of self-expression, but also as a way to speak to others about Him and His Word, so they might come to know Him and develop a relationship with Him. He wants me to bear witness to the marvelous things He has done and is doing in my life. Like the fishermen He called to be His apostles, God calls ordinary people like me to share our stories and our faith as a form of Christian ministry.


Declare his glory among the nations,
His marvelous works among all the peoples!
~ Psalm 96:3

In today’s high-tech world, God has opened up countless opportunities to witness to people around the globe. We no longer have to rely on someone else to publish our words. For a while now, the Holy Spirit has been urging me to write and self-publish my work in books and ebooks, in online newsletters and magazines, and on my own and others’ blogs or websites. Consequently, I’ve been researching how to set up my own blog/website, commenting more on other’s blogs, and considering joining social media sites like Twitter and Facebook. But I’ve wavered due to my fears about having an online voice. Internet trolls love to tear down others rather than lift them up. I need to keep reminding myself that my focus is to share God’s love, not to receive “likes” on Facebook.

Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up,
just as you are doing.
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:11


So, once again, I must place myself in God’s hands and refuse to let my fear
override my hope. God knows there is plenty of trouble and suffering in this world (John 16:33), so He calls on us to encourage one another daily (Hebrews 3:13). I don’t need a theological degree to witness for Christ. The gospel message is simple: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). I only need to pray for the Holy Spirit to speak to me; to guide me to the right words and scriptures at the right time. Therefore, I’ll continue to use my gift to the best of my ability and rely on God to take care of the rest.



Images: Pixabay

5 comments:

  1. Adversity of any kind really brings things into focus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Hope Beats Fear"is one of the most faith-driven and encouraging blogs I’ve read, Nina Faye. You have clearly stated your reason for sharing your story about dealing with your fears: “ . . . to speak to (others) about the comfort I experienced when I placed myself in God’s hands and refused to let my fear evaporate my hope and erode my faith.”

    I agree with your saying, "I must place myself in God’s hands and refuse to let my fear
    override my hope.” What a testament of praise you are offering to God and to others who can benefit from you story! This is obedience to the Holy Spirit’s guidance. May God continue to bless your writing to his glory and for the help of other pilgrims, Nina. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nina! As husband to a wife who is a two time cancer survivor I thank you for spreading your positive and confident message. Rather than being a mere academic view you have proven such confidence in God through your own experience with cancer. Since my wife's experience, I have to admit, I still feel sadness when I hear of someone who has been given a diagnosis of cancer. Your words are a comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you Nina; I really connected with your line about refusing "to let my fear evaporate my hope and erode my faith." Powerful words, we can refuse fear and choose hope. Thank you for these words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thank you for showing your heart and sharing your vulnerability. It serves as good encouragement. Bless you as you rise up and obey the leading of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.