September 25, 2018

Getting Personal With God By Vickie Stam

Some authors leave a lasting impression. Judy Blume did just that with her book, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. The book was published in 1970. The story is centered on a young girl named, Margaret who faces a number of typical life challenges in the world of a sixth grader.

One of Margaret's queries leads her on a quest to find a single religion and in doing so, Margaret ends up talking with God on a personal level. She pours out her heart to Him; revealing her troubles and triumphs. She tells God ….. everything.

Wow! It's been forty plus years since I read this captivating narrative. The title alone, still conjures up a lot of memories. Although the book was a work of fiction, I can relate to Margaret's constant conversations with God.

Are you there? Margaret asks, God. That same question has fell from my lips more than once. About fifteen years ago I was not in a good place. My life was going through a major upheave, one that had me begging God to fix and now being the operative word. Waiting was just not going to work for me. But when God didn't do what I hoped He would, I felt my faith teetering. I remember wondering if God was even listening. "Where are you???" I asked, God.

Even so I continued to call out to Him and I implored Him within the pages of my journal. "Make yourself known to me. I need you to help me get through this dark place. It's so dark and lonely. Are you there, God? I feel so lost!" In the midst of my shattered faith I used my writing to stay connected to God.

Years later I am still conversing with God between the pages of a Bible Study Journal: Creative Christian Workbook that I just recently purchased. It's wonderful! The book provides me with a place to stay in harmony with Him. A place to talk to God about …. everything.

Among the pages there's a place for notes, reflections, prayers and praises. And these notes have ignited questions, questions that have prompted open discussions with the people in my life.

And right now I am using this new journal to help me navigate my way through the book, "Goliath Must Fall" by Louie Giglio. He reminds us to keep our eyes on the one and only giant-slayer - - Jesus. We are to fix our eyes on the size of our God, not the size of our giant, something that has been a challenge for me for a long time.

For me, faith and writing are conjoined, maybe not in the form of a published book but they certainly do co-exist.

Writers have a way of leaving a lasting impression on me.

Judy Blume used a fictional character named, Margaret to search for God. God used, David to take down a Giant named, Goliath. And I know that God has a plan for this unknown-author as well.


4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that a children's fiction book can have such impact. It is encouraging for everyone, no matter what genre they write in. Also, I loved Judy Blume as a kid, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Children's books can have a significant affect on a child and are equally important in a kids life. I can remember how much my children loved The Berenstain Bear books. There are some great lessons in those little books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your use of "conjoined," Vickie, when talking about the relationship between faith and writing--for you, that is. Would it be a reach to say, for example, my heart is one and the same in my writing and my faith, but what goes on in my head is not. I'm thinking of when I know life would go better if I trusted completely in God and gave a certain matter over to him. When I worry, my head is going in another direction. Ha! Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but you got me thinking of the conjoined idea. Then I would need to pray, as the song says, "I surrender all. . ."

    Pardon my little mind trip on the business of conjoining faith and writing. I also loved "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret, and other Judy Blume books. I gave this one to one of my granddaughters when she was in Grade 6. I've got a couple others ready for Grade 6. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic Vickie! I have faint recollections of that book and think I'll have to keep it in mind for my granddaughters. Maybe I should re-read it also. Thank you also for the mention of journal you are working through. I might purchase one. I need something like that. I loved your last paragraph bringing everything together through the books you've read (Goliath Must Fall sounds so good!) and how you see God also working in your own life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.