January 16, 2017

Thankfulness in Every Season by Nina Faye Morey


I will extol the LORD at all times;
His praise will always be on my lips.
Psalm 34:1 (NIV)


In his Psalm of praise, David vows to always give glory to the Lord. No matter the time or season of our lives, we should never cease to honour Him and give Him thanks and praise (Psalm 106:1).

Give Thanks to the Lord

I find it easy to be grateful to the Lord for most aspects of our changing prairie seasons. I even enjoy the sound and fury of a sudden thunderstorm on a hot summer day. However, I find it more difficult to maintain this thankful attitude during winter’s storms. I really don’t appreciate the frigid temperatures or icy sidewalks that keep me indoors. However, there are mornings when I wake up to find that my little corner of the world has been magically transformed into a winter wonderland. I’m treated to a spectacular view of a world adorned with sparkling snow and hoarfrost. Then my spirits lift once more. I find myself thanking God and echoing His Word that all His creation is good (Genesis 1:31).

God’s Glorious Creation

Like the seasons of nature, I sometimes find it difficult to be thankful through all the seasons of my life. Just as the turn of seasons causes some of nature’s fiercest storms, we face our stormiest times during major life changes—illness, death, divorce. I may not have control over these stormy phases, but I do have control over how I react to them. I can call on the Lord, or I can choose to turn my back on Him. Even though I may not always understand God’s ways, I need to trust in Him.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on you own understanding;
In all your ways submit to him
and he will make your paths straight.
Prov. 3: 5-6

So although it’s sometimes hard to remain thankful through the stormy seasons of my life, I’m assured that I can stand firmly on the solid rock of God’s promises. He will provide me with stability and strength despite the shifting sands beneath my feet. If I trust in the Lord, I can be assured that He loves me and hears my cries for help. He sits at the right hand of God and intercedes for us in times of trouble (Romans 8: 31-39). He will hear my prayers and come to my rescue, giving me a firm foothold once more in the midst of my emotional turmoil.

My salvation and my honor depend on God;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
Psalm 62: 7-8

No matter what negative things are presently occurring in my life, I can be confident that God is working to turn them into something positive. Just as He works in the natural realm to transform a bitter winter into a winter wonderland, He works in the spiritual realm to transform the bad into the good.

And we know that in all things God works for the
good of those who love him, who have been
called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28

When I get discouraged during life’s storms, I remember David’s advice to always give thanks and praise to the Lord. Accepting that God’s in control of my future lifts my spirits and brings peace to my heart. If I remain focused on my faith, I know God will have something wonderful in store for me on the other side of the storm (Col. 3:15-17).

My Spirits Lift Once More

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the excellent scripture supports!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this very encouraging post. The scriptures hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nina Faye, for capturing and sharing the essence of accepting and being thankful for the "seasons of life." You have clarified so well what I believe many of us our thinking: that we may not appreciate a treacherous fog, but we delight in the beautiful hoarfrost it leaves behind. Each season has its own beauty and its life lessons. May God bless you and keep you in the seasons of your life and in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all welcome! I'm glad that you found my post on thankfulness and the supporting scriptures encouraging in this season of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was wonderful, just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth Ann. I'm glad that my post was able to lift your spirits and gave you encouragement.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.