February 24, 2015

He Walks With Me – by Tandy Balson

I read somewhere that writer’s block is when your imaginary friends stop talking to you!  That may be true for those who write fiction but as a non-fiction writer that's not an excuse I can use.

The worst thing I can do when I am stuck for words is to sit alone at the keyboard and try to force the words to flow through my fingertips.   A change of scenery can be the very thing needed to inspire my creativity.

Most often that means spending time in nature.  God has surrounded me with beauty and wants me to take the time to enjoy it.  When I walk and let my mind roam free I allow him to speak to me. 

 I have just come back from a vacation where I was blessed to be able to go for long walks along the beach most mornings.  As I walked I often had the strains of the song In The Garden going through my mind. Although I was at a beach and not a garden, the words were still appropriate: “And He walks with me, and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own; And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known..”

The joy I receive as I choose to walk with him is an experience that is able to refresh and energize at the same time.

Last summer I found inspiration at a lake I frequented.  Sometimes it was a walk through the trees that lined the shore.  Other times a bench beside the lake became my quiet spot for reflection.  Watching the sun set with no buildings to impede the view would make my heart sing.  There is something about the beauty and peacefulness of nature that restores my soul.  

I had never thought of these times as artist’s dates but that is exactly what they were.  The greatest artist of all, the one who paints the sky with muted shades at sunset and the trees and flowers with a vast array of vivid colours wants to spend time with me.  When I stop my striving and bask in the beauty he has surrounded me with, I can’t help but be inspired.


12 comments:

  1. You make me realize, Tandy, that God's nature is akin to strolling through a museum displaying the works of our great artists. No admission fee, no security guards, just God's creation. Always available. He has provided us with so very, very much. I join you in your artists' date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobbi. These are my favourite kinds of dates!

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures - both the actual and the word pictures you created

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracy - and thanks for all you do for this blog. You are appreciated.

      Delete
  3. I too find great renewal on a walk, a bench, sunrises/sets ... A key point you noted- "when I stop striving and bask in the beauty." That 'Be still and know I am God' concept. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it Jocelyn. I'm still working at the being still concept but making progress.

      Delete
  4. Yes, those times are truly Artist dates. I need to remember that and not just rush the walk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marnie, there is not always time to take leisurely walks but the benifits are so great when I do.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous5:44 am GMT-7

    So important to not strive and just be present. Nature does that for me too, and I need to get out more even if just in a middle of the city park with an urban man-made pond! Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like your passion is your inspiration. How blessed we are when we can focus on the beauty God has given to us. Lovely, visual post, Tandy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too enjoy walking, but I need to refresh that habit broken by plantar's fasciitis. I can't do the 5-k walks these days, but that is no excuse for not strolling to spots where I can enjoy God's presence and the beautiful spots he's made for us to enjoy. Thanks for this blog, Tandy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same, Tandy. A feast for the eyes from the original Artist Himself is an extraordinary experience. I so enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.