February 02, 2015

The Year of the Book - Steph Beth Nickel




I "met" Donna L Martin while participating in Picture Book Idea Month (PiBoIdMo). When I read her poem "The Year of the Book," I knew I wanted to share it with you. So, with Donna's permission, here it is:

Hear ye, hear ye; come one, come all,
Stand up; be counted; answer the call.

From fearsome dragons and sword-wielding knights
To wizardly wizards and rugs that take flight.

From twirling tornadoes and shiny red slippers
To imaginative gardeners with magical clippers.

Gather ye round; come closer I say,
It's time to be heard; that time is today.

From far-reaching galaxies to tales from the old,
Each one is a treasure; each story needs told.

So gather them close, the big and the small,
Then shout it out, sing it out, no matter the call.

From tall mountaintop to the smallest nook,
It's time to proclaim The Year of the Book.


 By day, Donna is a Fourth Degree Black Belt Certified Taekwondo Instructor. By night, she's a crafty Ninja writer of children's picture books, chapter books, and young adult novels. She's a member of SCBWI and likes cuddling with her cat when she's not chasing a new storyline to see where it takes her. www.donnalmartin.com 

The Story Catcher book trailer: http://youtu.be/DvuB8FQXcmM



4 comments:

  1. Love the rhythm and rhyme! and yes, may we
    "shout it out, sing it out, no matter the call."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I wrote something similar a long time ago about climbing into books. I wish I could find it or at least remember it. I can remember 'How to Get Rid of Aunt Martha' but I can't remember the 'book one'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title, The Story Catcher, and I love the rhythm of the poem, The Year of the Book. I see challenges to writers, in the lines, "It's time to be hears; that time is today," and "From far-reaching galaxies. . . Each one is a treasure; each story needs told."

    Thanks for sharing this book I haven't met yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.