August 13, 2024

Travelling as a Source of Writing Inspiration by Steph Beth Nickel

 
Photo Credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/airplane-sky-sunrise-sunset-6074629/


A writer's inspiration can come from any number of places: snippets of overheard conversation, a display of souvenir merchandise bearing unusual names, a random quote you can't forget.

And . . . travel!

Next month, I will be travelling to Scotland, Ireland, and Iceland with my husband. Our eldest son and his wife will serve as our tour guides. (They live in Scotland and spend a fair amount of time in Iceland, a place they especially look forward to showing us.)

Needless to say, a trip like this has the potential to provide a plethora of ideas for future writing projects, more ideas than I'll ever be able to pursue I'm sure.

While I could wait until I wing my way across the Pond to make any definite plans, I thought it best to get my creative mojo flowing by brainstorming ideas as to what I could write based on this once in a lifetime trip.

From poems to pictures books. Devotionals. Memoir. Blog posts. Newsletter content. Speculative fiction. Cozy mysteries. 

And so much more! 

To prime the pump, I asked Claude AI for ideas. While I won't be using any of the ideas "as is," they have served as inspiration.

For example, I asked, "Give me picture book ideas for books set in Scotland, Ireland, and Iceland," and Claude came up with three ideas for each location. 

Among other ideas, it suggested, "Tartan Tales: A patchwork quilt comes to life, sharing stories of Scottish history and folklore," "The Littlest Leprechaun: A tiny leprechaun tries to prove his worth by granting the biggest wish ever," and "Puffin's Big Adventure: A curious puffin explores Iceland's diverse landscapes and meets unique wildlife."

Like any other technology, generative AI can be used for unethical purposes. However, I've found that it's a great brainstorming partner.

In order to record the ideas that come to mind, I have purchased a blank journal which I plan to write in every day and a guided journal, should the idea for a novel begin to percolate. (I'm sure there will be many.)

I may take coloured pens, a different colour to use for each category so I can quickly scan the journal when I return home and develop the ideas that jump off the page at me.

I will also be taking a camcorder with an external mic to keep a video record of My European Adventure and a record of the magnificent scenery that is bound to grab my attention. I may also take my digital camera. We'll see. It is rather bulky but will likely be well worth it.

What corners of God's creation have inspired your writing? How did you keep track of that inspiration? What have you written based on your travels?

6 comments:

  1. Your adventure, Stephanie, sounds exciting on all fronts. New things to see and experience, spending it with loved ones, AND gathering a brainstorm of new ideas for your writing cupboard. You are in for a treat. Safe travels and all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to use coloured pens, dear Steph.
    Blessings on your vacation and on your journal writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have an absolutely fantastic trip, Steph! Great use of all available tools to gather fodder for future ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your plans for recording your trip, Steph! I'm sure you will find inspiration a-plenty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you're preparing for your trip, including writing ideas, Steph! What especially resonated with me was this: "a trip like this has the potential to provide a plethora of ideas for future writing projects". Most of our experiences have such a potential, it we take time to think and plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will have a wonderful time! We visited Iceland and Scotland this past summer and discovered lots of stories. Your plans sound great - I'd be interested to know if you plan on marketing your travel writing projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.