August 06, 2024

T is for Time, by Susan Barclay

 

There's a certain amount of irony in choosing time as my theme for this month's post. Time got away from me and I am writing this on the day of deadline. There are two reasons, I think, that time's passage escaped me: 1) I had rescheduled my July post to the 25th because I missed that deadline; 2) my husband and I were at a cottage last week and found that time passed much more slowly there. Can it really already be August the 6th today?!

As I think about time, a number of quotes come to mind. Are you familiar with any of these?

"I wasted time and now doth time waste me." ~William Shakespeare

"Where your attention goes, your time goes." Idowu Koyenikan

"Take care of the minutes and the hours will take care of themselves." ~Lord Chesterfield

"Time is the single most important resource we have. Every single minute we lose is never coming back." ~Taran Sharma

 Now, how about this one?

"...teach us to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

As I watch my mom struggle in her final years (months? days?), I'm reminded of the importance of using well the time God has graciously given each one of us. While most of us will leave this planet with unfinished work, projects, and plans; unrealized hopes and dreams, while we are here, we ought to make the most of the time we have. Though there is a place for downtime, rest, and relaxation, and I'm not suggesting we burn ourselves out with activity (even meaningful, worthwhile activity), how many of us are skilled at managing ourselves well? How many of us fritter away our time on pointless things?

"There is no such thing as time-management; there is only self-management." ~Rory Vaden

"...each of us will give a personal account to God" (Romans 14:12). I don't know about you, but I want to hear those words referenced in Matthew 25:21, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

God has given us gifts, including the gift of writing, and not to use them is a waste of the gift of time - don't you agree? 

Therefore, let's put legs to this quote from author Stephen King:

Amateurs wait for inspiration while the rest of us just get up and go to work.

And "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving" (Colossians 3:23-24).

Write on, my friends!

________________________

For more about Susan Barclay and her writing, please visit www.susan-barclay.blogspot.com. 




 

11 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this! I fill my time with too many things, even if they are good and worthy things, including ministry volunteer work. I really am trying to cut back on that, because resting is also a wise use of time (it's not the same as laziness). Balance is the key issue with which I struggle, and I suspect that many others do, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you do all that you do, Cathy - I would be 6 feet under! I pray that you find the much-needed balance between work and rest. Unfortunately, the number of people serving in the church is far less than the number of people occupying the pews. The few do most of the work.

      Delete
  2. I loved all the quotes you used, Susan and can totally relate to "time getting away". many blessings as you navigate a difficult season with your dear mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not kidding, Susan. I enjoy serving, but I also enjoy resting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan, for sharing your struggles and your determination! I don’t think I know anybody who has figured out the ultimate balance of using time. Life happens and things change, change being a constant in life. May your time with your mom be blessed and may you be filled with courage and strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very true, Sharon, that figuring out that ultimate balance is a next-to-impossible challenge due to the frequent, unpredictable changes in our lives. Yet, if we don't think about the best use of our selves and our time, we run the risk of looking back on our lives with greater regret over how we've managed both. Thank you for your prayer for me and my mom.

      Delete
  5. Susan, this quote stood out to me in blazing neon letters: "There is no such thing as time-management; there is only self-management." How very true!!
    Praying for you and your mom in this time you've been given.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Joy, and I couldn't agree with you more about the Vaden quote. So much truth there!

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Susan. The words quoted by Joy - "There is no such thing as time-management; there is only self-management" - are the ones that spoke to me, too. It's easy to get caught up in being too busy, but it's also easy to just drift without accomplishing anything. Balance!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.