August 16, 2024

T is for Training by Lorilee Guenter

 


Once upon a time, my daughter challenged me to walk/run a 5K with her. I was an overweight, asthmatic who could not run 30 seconds. But how do you say no to the argument: you tell us to just try? I set out to train my body to run for 5 minutes, convinced I would fail. My plan was to run 5 minutes and walk 5 minutes. If I could run more great. I had to work with diligence and intentionality. To my surprise, it worked. I no longer run preferring to hike instead. Because of the earlier training, I know I can hike up to 5K even on a more difficult terrain. 

Somewhere around the time I started training my body, I started retraining my mind. I had written for fun. I kept a journal on and off. I decided I wanted to try writing a novel. I built on my journal habit and sat down to write each day in November that year. The result is a disjointed mess. I had not taken time to build my story telling skills. I might break it up into short stories. I might leave it on the shelf as a reminder that I can try and I can learn. I can train to improve my writing. I have a series of novel attempts. Each better than the last. One is almost ready to publish. During these training exercises, I learned what I like to write and what I struggle to write. The first draft of my writing is always a case of the missing comma. However, with practice, I no longer miss as many commas as I once did. 

Books, workshops, and writing communities are integral to my training. So is reading. I am always reading. Just as an athlete continues to train in their sport, as writers we need to continue to work on our craft.

In Hebrews 12:1 we are challenged to "run with perseverance the race marked out for us." We are also given guidelines for training in faith and life. By fixing our eyes on Jesus we can reach the goal. I can not run this race alone. In each of the training examples above, I had a group of people challenging me,  guiding me and cheering me on. In life and faith we have the same support when we engage with the community around us. No matter how large or small our faith family is, we have a friend and mentor in Jesus Christ through His Holy Spirit. A life of consistent faith is the most important training we will undertake. May we each follow the training plan He has for our lives. 

8 comments:

  1. This is an inspiration to us all, Lorilee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the encouragement here to treat writing like training for a run. Well done, dear Lorilee.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Lorilee. Love this. It’s so true that our writing gets better the more we write just as our endurance improves as we train. Good stuff! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:20 pm GMT-7

    Excellent insights! Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to describe the growth of our writing skills, Lorrie, and especially the focus on training with our Coach, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have shown us how, Lorilee. What a beautiful example of how it can be accomplished. You're an inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lorilee, for sharing your writing training and the journey it's taken you on. Little by little, that's the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent analogy, Lorilee! And I agree, "A life of consistent faith is the most important training we will undertake."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.