August 21, 2024

Take Charge of Your Writing Life - Tracy Krauss


For most of the writers I know, finding ideas to write about is not an issue. Finding the time to craft these ideas into something worthy of sharing is another thing altogether. It takes effort. It takes discipline. It takes a certain amount of dogged determination.

Here are some pointers that I have found helpful:

1. Just sit down and do it! Don’t wait until you are less tired, more inspired, or not as busy. These are excuses that we’ve all used from time to time, but in the end, they are still excuses. Dust and dishes tend to regenerate—we’re all too busy—and that mystical muse gets far more credit than it should. Take control of your time and your muse. I have found that beginning is usually the biggest hurdle. Once I just sit down and start writing, fatigue, lack of inspiration, and anxiety about what else I need to do melts away.

2. Make writing a habit. Choose a daily word count or a time allotment. This is a habit I try to maintain at least five days a week. I also set monthly and yearly goals for myself that are specific and measurable. Note that when I say “writing,” I mean just that. Writing time is not the same as time on social media, editing, marketing, or other writing-related activities. Writing for me means composing something new, be it a play, a novel, a short story, or even a blog post.

3. Eliminate distractions. Turn off the TV. Shut the office door. Allow the answering machine to take messages. Close your Facebook page. If you choose to write for one hour, let’s say, then give yourself 60 minutes without all the distractions. I’ve even heard some writers say they set a timer. I’ve tried this a few times and it actually works well. When the timer rings, chances are you’ll be inspired enough to continue writing.

Naturally, we all go through seasons of productivity, and that’s okay, too. However, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut of inactivity that has its roots in our own excuses. Don’t do it! Take charge of your own writing life. It’s as easy as one-two-three.

I admit that I found this post in my archives. I wrote it for the InScribe Professional blog back in 2015, but I think the advice is still pretty good!

________________________


Tracy Krauss
writes and lives in Tumbler Ridge, BC. Visit her website: https://tracykrauss.com


16 comments:

  1. Amen, dear Tracy, to "beginning" being the "biggest hurdle."
    Excellent and "timeless" advice.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! You are always so encouraging!

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Tracy, for all these wonderfully practical practices. Time for this gal to take charge. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie Ronald12:57 pm GMT-7

    Sage advice, Tracy! Thank you. Lessening distractions and "just doing it"' take discipline and determination for me. I find I am most productive when I set aside one day a week for writing, without appointments or guests. That way when I get in the "zone", I can stay there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having large blocks of time has often worked for me, too, especially when I worked full time as a public school teacher. Summer was my golden writing time!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for these tips, Tracy. They are a great motivation to ignore excuses and sit down and write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real trick is sticking to it... LOL

      Delete
  5. Those are great points, Tracy. I took up blogging many years ago because I wanted to establish a consistent, regular writing habit for myself. Right off, I gave myself the blogging assignment to write 100 posts in 100 days. I happily accomplished that goal and, through it, laid the foundation habit to write regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sometimes we need these kinds of self imposed goals to give us the kickstart we need!

      Delete
  6. These are excellent pieces of advice, Tracy. The importance of a consistent writing habit is something I keep working on. It's a bit more difficult now that my husband is retired and home more often. We'll get a routine established, I'm sure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I totally get where you're coming from! My husband was off work on medical leave for several months this year and it REALLY put a wrench in my routine!

      Delete
  7. The advice stands the test of time, Tracy! Thank you for this reminder to take charge of my writing life and not allow to stand in the way the many, many excuses one can find for not writing. I admit that the last four years of caregiving have taken a toll on good writing habits, but now that I'm retired, I hope to (no, I WILL) take charge of them again. When September arrives, I will establish better routines of all kinds. I've been thankful for the Inscribe Writers Online blog to ensure I've done SOME writing each month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to take charge, but we also need to give ourselves some grace... Caregiving is a big responsibility.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for your recommendations, Tracy. They are especially helpful when "life" takes over--especially sitting down for a few minutes that can extend to an hour or more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.