August 02, 2024

T is for Tired ~ by Brenda J. Wood


 Ain’t You Tired, Ms. Hilly?


In the movie, The Help, Ms. Hilly spent all her time trying to control her world and the people in it. You might say she was building her platform.


I’m all for building platform, proclaiming our names and selling our books, but there is a limit.

A constant stream of messages tout this expert or that and each of them apparently knows more about platform, (or may I say staging) than we do. By the way, do you know the definition of the word expert? An expert is a drip, under pressure! I know this to be true, because occasionally, even I am flaunted as an expert!

I tried to keep up with all the advice, but there is just too much of it. Much of it is contradictory. Like Ms. Hilly, I just got tired. Now I’m not calling these folks and their info unworthy, but I am saying that too much following and not enough doing will be our undoing. We would be wise to heed the 4-H motto, learn to do by doing.

You see, for a while, I lost my focus as a Christian writer. I spent all my time chasing the dream, building my platform with methods offered in the barrage of blogs and emails, but I spent very little of my time actually being a Christian who writes. Finally, I began to pray like Jabez. 

I copied the prayer, placed it on my bathroom mirror and I prayed it every day. I did not alter it to build my platform. That would have sounded something like this.

Brenda cried to the God of Israel, saying -

1. Oh, that You would bless me – with a huge blog following

2. And enlarge my border, - so that I can sell more books

3. And that Your hand might be with me, and guide my writing success

4. And You would keep me from the evil - of not having a platform

5. So that it might not hurt me! - and I would be a best-selling author forever

And God granted Brenda’s request. (1 Chronicles 4:10, AMP)


No, I did not pray like that. I prayed the original, just as it was written.

Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying-

6. Oh, that You would bless me 

7. And enlarge my border,

8. And that Your hand might be with me, 

9. And You would keep me from evil 

10. So that it might not hurt me!

And God granted his request. (1 Chronicles 4:10, AMP)


God did not answer immediately, because he had to wait for me to do my part: write. When He did answer, he took care of my platform. We were in harmony once more and I could once more say it and mean it. I am a Christian writer, that is, a Christian who writes.



Brenda J. Wood has authored more than fifty books. She is a seasoned motivational speaker, who declares the Word of God with wisdom, humour, and common sense.


13 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Brenda, for reminding us that prayer is the best foundation for a godly platform.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:15 pm GMT-7

      Thank you, Wendy for always being so encouraging to everyone of your writers, including me, Brenda

      Delete
  2. Very well said, Brenda. I loved "too much following and not enough doing will be our undoing." Except of course the following Jesus so that we can be led by his Spirit as we write. Thanks for inspiring me once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:09 am GMT-7

      Oh Barb, thank you for your encouraging comments

      Delete
  3. Oh Brenda! You struck a chord with this one, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:09 am GMT-7

      Thank you so much, Tracie

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, Brenda. May we never forget the One for whom we write. May you be blessed as you write together with Him once again! (Forgot about the Prayer of Jabez but will now write it out to remember. Thank you.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:10 am GMT-7

      Sharon, I am so honoured that you would take that prayer for yourself as well. It’s been prayed many a century and it still is Answered by a faithful. God

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:31 am GMT-7

    Btenda what a beautiful reminder to keep our priorities right and to seek God in all we do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, this jumped out at me when I read your post: "God did not answer immediately, because he had to wait for me to do my part: write. When He did answer, he took care of my platform...". Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:10 am GMT-7

      Oh Brenda, haven’t we all waited a long time for God to do things that we think should be done immediately and yet he does in the right time

      Delete
  7. Yes, it's very tiring when one spends all her time researching and listening to other voices instead of the Voice that gives life. Loved this line: "too much following and not enough doing will be our undoing." Very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love this post Brenda. I get tired just thinking about all the marketing a writer is "supposed" to do. Prayer is indeed the foundation, and writing first. I haven't heard about the prayer of Jabez for a long time, but will be copying it out and posting it above my desk. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.