August 11, 2024

A “Thousand Daily Plots” by Sandi Somers



 

The evening sun, edging toward the horizon, nearly blinded me as I drove westward out of Calgary. The surrounding sky and clouds glowed golden. I glanced in the rearview mirror and caught sight of an apartment tower, its windows shimmering with the golden reflection.

The lovely sight reminded me that there are so many golden moments in a day we could write about. Or memorable in other ways when God reveals Himself. The grey days of rain after a drought, with blades of green grass poking through the yellowed parched lawn. The red heart emoji accompanying encouraging words from a loving friend. Or the ebony blackness of night punctuated by laser flashes of lightning.

But how can we write the whole context of the incident and shape it into a story right then and there? It seems too great a task while absorbed with life or a major writing project. We might conclude that it’s easier to let those moments slide into oblivion or become vague, distant memories.

But we can capture the impressions, perhaps in a short vignette or a paragraph. Just take a few moments while writing morning pages, or record into your cell phone, or reflect in your journal or computer document at the end of the day.

Here’s an example I wrote several weeks ago on an ebony night punctuated by those laser flashes of lightning:

I woke up last night to see flashes of lightning, brightening even my closed eyes, but I didn't hear thunder. I peeked out the windows, but with houses surrounding me, I couldn’t see where the distant storm was. It reminded me of visiting my grandma as a child. One summer evening, driving home on the country roads from visiting her friend just as dusk was falling, we watched a storm in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The silent glow of lightning illuminated the cloud, yet no thunder followed. Sheet lightning, Grandma called it. I felt secure with her. Secure that the storm was far away and would hopefully stay there. Because earlier that summer, lightning had struck our farmhouse and left me terrified of thunderstorms and lightning strikes.


These daily scenarios can arise spontaneously and capture the immediacy of the memory, with sensory images, details, and emotions that can later grow into stories or poems or become plot points of a larger work. Whatever we choose to do with our drafts, these nuggets provide great practice for encapsulating significant God-given moments that enhance our creativity.

Like the psalmist, we can declare, “Beautiful words stir my heart. I will recite a lovely poem…for my tongue is like the pen of a skillful poet” (Psalm 45:1 NLT).

“Thousand daily plots”, from Ann V. Klotz, https://brevity.wordpress.com/2024/07/22/so-many-stories-in-a-day/

Image by Pixabay



18 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Sandi, for this lovely and inspiring post. Your beautiful descriptions left me craving to spend more time capturing special moments on paper.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased, Wendy, that my writing has inspired you to "spend more time capturing special moments on paper." Begin today!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Sandi. A number of years ago I was looking for something in an old journal and realized that much of my writing there dealt with problems and negative emotions. It was a good place for me to write it all out. However, I decided to capture more of the lovely things in life, too, and that has been personally rewarding. Thank you for sharing some of your special and beautiful moments with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorrie, for your observation that lovely, God-given moments need to be recorded. It was so rewarding to read your comments.

      Delete
  3. Like you, Sandi, I have come to appreciate the value and joy of capturing those special 'moments' of life by writing them down. Even if it's just simple paragraphs in my journal. I have come to see their value, not just for my personal enjoyment and solace, but in helping me hone that skill of capturing the details of a scene or situation. It makes my writing better.

    I'm so glad you shared this lovely challenge with us. A good reminder to carry on. I love the line you give us from Ps 45:1, “Beautiful words stir my heart. I will recite a lovely poem…for my tongue is like the pen of a skillful poet”.

    Thank you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda. Yes, writing these moments has challenged me to hone my skills and to see just how intimately God is with us in everything.

      Delete
  4. Sandi, that Bible verse is my own personal inspiring thought when God first gave it to me I said are you sure God and I guess he was thanks for reminding me Brenda Wood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful verse to have as the one God gave you for your personal inspiration, Brenda! Thanks for sharing this with us.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post, Sandi. I do take a few small moments once in awhile to write down those special moments, but I need to do it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Joy. I hope you write more of your special moments.

      Delete
  6. Love all the ways you’ve suggested to capture those marvellous moments we experience in our every day. Thanks for the encouragement to save those treasured “nuggets.” Blessings on your day and thank you for your post. A wonderful translation of Psalm 45:1 as well. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for another of your encouraging and regular comments, Sharon. It's wonderful to think of those treasured moments, even though I can't possibly write them all. And I do love Psalm 45:1.

      Delete
  7. Dear Sandi, I needed this post. You remind of the beauty of every day and the gift of every breath. Your words speak and see. The indeed stir my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. Often we don't know the impact of our words. I'm so glad this post was meaningful to you.

      Delete
  8. Bob Jones9:37 pm GMT-7

    Sandi, you are capturing lightening in a page. Such a good note to all of us about capturing our experiences in writing. Even if the thoughts never grow into a story, the exercise sharpens our writing and observing skills. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bob. Yes, my exercise in writing lightning and the golden moments was a delightful experience.

      Delete
  9. Your vignette is beautiful Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. So few words in your comment, but such an encouragement and affirmation.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.