August 09, 2024

Take Stock, Take Another Look, Take a Chance by Joylene M Bailey



~~~~~

Have you ever come across a piece of writing and immediately fallen in love with it, only to find out that YOU wrote it? That happened to me recently. It took me aback because I hadn't remembered writing it. But as I read, I thought, This is really good. I almost couldn't believe the author was me! 

The truth of the matter is, I write the kinds of things that I like to read. I don't write devotionals because, generally, I don't enjoy reading devotionals. I do love to read stories filled with whimsy and wonder. So, that tends to be the kind of thing I write.

Lately, I've been taking stock ... going through old pieces of writing: some finished, some barely begun; some written many years ago, and some more recent; some that seem like dull non-starters, and some that still spark excitement.

I've been taking another look at the ones that stir up something in me. It might be the feeling that this could be a good piece of writing; like it could go somewhere. Or it might be that I still love the characters and want to find out what happens to them. Whatever the allure, I think it's worth pulling them out again and giving it another go. This could be the perfect time to find the right words to tell the story.

This happened to me last year when I was looking for something to submit to InScribe's Fall Contest. I went back through stories I'd written but that had never gone anywhere. And I found one that I still really liked. I worked on it a little more, polished it, and entered it. Lo and behold, it won first place in its category. I was so glad I'd taken the chance.

As a former InScribe Fall Contest Coordinator, I know the work that goes into offering this contest to InScribe's members. I know how dedicated and diligent the judges are; how much they want to make the writing of the entrants the best that it can be. Their detailed and conscientious critiques are worth more than any prize. Over my years of entering the contests, I've learned so much from them about how to develop my writing and make it even better.

There's still time left to enter this year's Fall Contest. The deadline is midnight, August 15. You might say you have nothing to enter, but I'm sure you've got some old unpublished pieces somewhere that just need a little tweaking. Why not give it a go?

Take stock.
Take another look.
Take a chance.

You might be glad you did.

~~~~~


Joy writes from her home in lake country, Alberta, where she lives with the Cowboy, a couple of seniors, and a couple of pets. Find more of her joy-infused writing at Scraps of Joy.

13 comments:

  1. I like taking stock of lingering old drafts but haven't done it recently. After reading your post, I feel a surge of interest in your challenge to take stock, take another look, and take a chance. And what fun to have done that yourself, ending up being the first place winner when you submitted your piece last year.

    I'm off to see if there's anything I could work on and submit before the deadline. Thanks, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooo I'm glad I could spur you on. Hope you find something. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post and good reminder to take chances, dear Joy. Sometimes I initial a line or paragraph in my journal if I think I may doubt I wrote it later. It's fun to uncover old words that spark fresh joy.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea to initial a line or paragraph. Thanks for that, Wendy.

      Delete
  3. Yay! I love hearing a story like this! Often, I read something I've written and find fault, but once in a while I find something that makes me smile inside. thanks for the reminder to enter the fall contest, too. The deadline is fast approaching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. And isn't it fun to come upon something we've written that we really like?

      Delete
  4. Joy, your posts never disappoint. You encourage me to look through my writing pieces with the thought of submitting to our Fall Contest. :) I have been swamped with another writing project, but will see if I can decide on a piece to submit. Thank you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to find such a treasure! Thanks for sharing your discovery, Joy. Also, thanks for the timely reminder. Blessings on your day. (and continued prayers)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thank you for your continued prayers. My grandson and his mom were both concerned that people would forget to pray for them once he left the hospital, but I will tell him people are remembering. So appreciated!

      Delete
  6. Well, this is a bit of serendipity! Last night I read through old pieces of writing on my computer and printed one off to work on today in hopes of submitting to the Inscribe contest. Thank you for the added encouragement, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serendipity indeed! I hope you're able to submit it!

      Delete
  7. Bob Jones9:39 pm GMT-7

    Thank you Joy for the prompting. If I find an entry it will be because of you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.