August 27, 2024

The Thing About Tests by Brenda Leyland



Today's post is in response to Joy Bailey’s recent challenge to take stock of old drafts, finish what's worth finishing, and get them out into the world—see her post here. Pulling up my figuratively dog-eared digital file, I came across one draft that fits with this month's 'T' prompt. I worked on it, finished it, and posted it. Whether that old draft has turned into something worth bringing into the light of day, well, you can decide. 😉
* * *

The past is where you learn the lesson.
The future is where you apply the lesson.
Unknown

Think back a moment to your student days. You're sitting at a desk, test paper in front of you, waiting for the signal to flip it over. You are either calm and ready to tackle it, or you've got a sinking feeling you may be scraping deep to pass this one.

My classmates and I used to think our teachers invented tests to torture us. Groans used to fill the classroom when a surprise quiz or upcoming test was announced. But with maturity often comes wisdom, and I eventually understood the purpose for tests (although it never really stopped the groaning). Tests can certainly be a pain, but, no, they aren't meant for torturing students. Neither are they designed to be a teaching tool—unless it is the lesson that we should have paid better attention, studied more earnestly, in the first place. Rather, our instructors used tests to determine how well, in fact, we had learned our lessons. How intimately we knew our subject of study and could apply it where applicable. And whether we successfully met the requirements to graduate or advance to the next level.

With that in mind, I have mused on and off over the years about where we get the idea, when it comes to our personal or spiritual lives, that God uses tests to try to teach us something. Who learns to swim when the boat has capsized in a storm? That's not the time to reach for the instruction manual. At that point, we desperately hope we can, in the manner of well-prepared boy scouts, swim for shore and safety. 

Now that's not to say we don't learn something in the struggle, but I don't think it's where we're really meant to gain our knowledge and expertise.

As I see it, that's why our Heavenly Father has given us His Spirit to come alongside and be our 'paraclete', to help and instruct. To teach us the way we should go, so we're prepared when the tests and challenges come our way. In my own life, how often I felt his instruction and guidance, grateful for the heads-up when I found myself needing it down the road. I remember times when he nudged me to get in the Word more, to study and know those promises inside out, to come away and rest a while, to pray, to listen, to gain greater insights into his divine nature (and my own stubborn ways) . . . all so that I would be more prepared to face life's disappointments, sorrows, and challenges. I also recall times where I realized too late that I should have listened to that nudge, the still small voice, and could have avoided some hard things.

There was a time years ago when I couldn't get enough of a certain passage, in fact, it was Psalm 37:5 NKJV. I kept returning to the verse, hungry to have those words about trust and waiting feed my thoughts and assure my heart. Only to have a situation show up where I had to wait patiently for Him and not do anything on my own. He was adamant about it, I felt his urging strongly. The test to wait and do nothing was not easy. I so wanted to put my oar in and figure it out myself—I had to keep returning to the psalm to stop myself. Then the day came, and I watched amazed at how the solution unfolded in a way I could not have imagined. To this day, I still shudder to think how easily I could have messed up something beautiful if I hadn't learned to listen... and wait.

As I began to see it, these tests weren't about me being taught something in that hard place. They were the opportunity for me to ‘test it out', as it were, to see if I truly meant what I said I'd do. If I trusted God to do what he said he would do. To see if, indeed, I'd overcome an old habit or attitude and would choose the better thing this time. I'm happy to report that sometimes I passed with flying colours. Which always gave me hope for the situations I still struggled to make the grade. 

God is a good parent, and with all my heart I believe he does work lovingly with our oft-stubborn selves, encouraging us, helping us to be prepared and ready for tests that do come to us as we live on this imperfect planet earth. Tests are the opportunity to show our mettle in the mess, to put into practice what we've learned. As a student in God's school of life, I'm still learning and still taking tests. But just think! One day all the tests will be done, we'll have passed the lot, and graduated to better things. It's something hopeful to keep us going in the meantime.

Photo credit: Image by Viarami from Pixabay


Inspired by the beauty of God's world around her, Brenda uses her favourite creative pursuit of writing to play with words and shape them into beautiful thoughts for good. Her sweet spot place for writing is on her blog It's A Beautiful Life, and she also enjoys being a Guest Blogger here. 
A longtime member of InScribe, she has been a contributor and columnist in FellowScript magazine and has contributed to two InScribe anthologies.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. So many good thoughts here, Brenda. (As always.) God has our best in mind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy. He is so good, so glad for His kindness towards us.

      Delete
  2. Hooray for you in editing and publishing something from your old drafts.

    This sentence is sticking to my spiritual ribs today to encouragement me to be still: "To this day, I still shudder to think how easily I could have messed up something beautiful if I hadn't learned to listen... and wait."

    Thank you, dear Brenda for blessing us with these worthy words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your phrase 'sticking to my spiritual ribs' - thanks so much, Wendy. You're such an encourager.

      Delete
  3. You found a gem in your draft file! I think you passed the test of the draft file challenge with flying colors.😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Brenda and I particularly can relate to this paragraph in its entirety, “As I see it, that's why our Heavenly Father has given us His Spirit to come alongside and be our 'paraclete', to help and instruct…… I also recall times where I realized too late that I should have listened to that nudge, the still small voice, and could have avoided some hard things.“ Thanks so much for this wonderful post and for sharing how God encouraged you with Psalm 37:5. This particular Psalm is also one of my favourites as the Lord has led me there on numerous occasions. Blessings on your day as you have also blessed mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your note, Sharon. You know, I'd love to hear one day how that verse has been a tool He has used in your own life. What fun we'd have if we could swap stories. :)

      Delete
  5. Love the thought about a test not being where we learn, but where we produce what we've learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that made good sense, too. Thanks, Lorrie, for dropping a note. :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post Brenda! All of us have gone through testing in school, college as well as in the school of life. If not for our Maker's Manuel and instruction, we wouldn't have come this far to be a blessing to others. Keep on writing and blessing fellow believers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Who learns to swim when the boat has capsized in a storm?" That's the thought that grabbed me today. I found your whole post so profound and so relatable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.