April 23, 2024

The Writer's Path ~ Valerie Ronald

 

I watched from a short distance behind to see how long it would take before she looked back for me. My firstborn had only learned to walk a few weeks ago, now nothing would stop her. She toddled down the forest path as fast as her small legs could carry her, eager to find out what was around the next bend, not once looking back to see if I followed. Decades later, she and her husband are seasoned hikers, roaming beautiful forest paths in remote mountain regions. No matter how far she goes, I carry in my mind the image of her as a tiny girl in a bright yellow jacket following the first path of many she would someday explore.

Do you remember the first steps you took on the pathway to becoming a writer? Did it begin as a dream in your heart ˗˗ perhaps the discovery you were good with words ˗˗ or a desire to tell your story? Many writers forge paths fueled by their own ambition, however, as a writer who follows Christ, I have learned to trust Him to show me the path He wants me to take.

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.” (Prov. 3:5-6 NIV)

My path as a writer has had many twists and turns, memorable mountaintop moments and times when I’ve lost the trail. Lessons learned along the way strengthened my writing muscles and taught me obedience to the One who laid out my path. Gradually I learned to see God’s providence in each step on the path, even in the wrong turns I took.

Like the conviction that I was to write a memoir about a time of personal trauma in my past. I spent hours dredging up painful memories, trying to bleed them onto the page, yet often deleting hours of writing because of my reluctance to reveal such private details to future readers. Guiltily stalling work on the manuscript, I found it too emotionally difficult to unearth a chapter in my life God had closed long ago. Then I noticed a theme emerging. I realized I was weaving parts of my trauma story into other projects, yet without stirring up the emotional pain the focused memoir caused. I could share how God met me and taught me in those dark places, then move on to the healing and wholeness of the new life He blessed me with. I believe this is the path He wanted for me all along.

“Your great Teacher will reveal Himself to you; your eyes will see Him. Your ears will hear sweet words behind you: “Go this way. There is your path; this is how you should go” whenever you must decide whether to turn to the right or the left.” (Isa. 30:19-21 The Voice)

If you are truly seeking God’s will for your writing path, He will make your way clear. He has given you the best guidebook in His Word and the compass of the Holy Spirit to point you in the right direction. Even if you take a wrong turn, He can make a way where there is no way. I pray you experience joyful purpose and beauty with each step as you follow the writing path God has set before you.

 

Valerie Ronald writes from an old roll top desk in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba, with her tortoiseshell cat for a muse. A graduate of Langara College School of Journalism, she writes devotionals, fiction and inspirational prose. Her purpose in writing is to encourage others to grow in their spiritual walk.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Valerie, for this beautiful path to hope. One of the things I appreciate about writing is that any time spent writing improves our craft. A shelved project still played an important part in paving the path to the destination God has for our writing.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Wendy. Thank you for reminding me that our writing is never wasted, even when it is shelved.

      Delete
  2. So enjoyed your post, Valerie. For a couple of reasons, I was drawn to this passage: "Then I noticed a theme emerging. I realized I was weaving parts of my trauma story into other projects, yet without stirring up the emotional pain the focused memoir caused."

    First, I like how your original painful memoir has turned out to be your background research from which new and hopeful pieces have come. And, happily, without the extreme emotional pain of that first excavation project. I love how He brought that around for you.

    Second, I relate to what you shared. After spending several years gathering the memories of my own life stories, I now find that I am weaving bits and pieces of these 'written down' memories into many smaller pieces, often blog posts. The original project has turned out to be my 'research' of making sense of my life events; it's now the basis and support for ideas formed and lessons learned over the years as I walked with Him.

    Thank you, Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your positive comment, Brenda, and for pointing out that some writing projects are stepping stones to help us on to the next one God calls us to write.

      Delete
  3. Michelle Strutzenberger2:02 pm GMT-7

    Thank you for this refreshing and uplifting post, Valerie. I am encouraged to keep trusting the Lord with my own writing journey. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous8:40 am GMT-7

      Michelle, I am encouraged by your comment. I can't imagine moving forward on my writing path without the Lord making a way.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your wisdom and grace in writing this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your positive comment, Tracy!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:33 pm GMT-7

    This was so well done, and I find it as true of my own path when I had to write my own terrible memoir that there were things that God protected me from for the moment until I was able and strong enough to share them with the world thank you Brenda would

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, thanks for commenting. Perhaps some day God will bring me back to write that memoir, like you say, when I am able and strong. But for now I am at peace with where He has me.

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful, honest and thought provoking post, Valerie. I am reminded of many paths that have been taken in my own journey. I am also reminded of the poem ‘The Road Bot Taken’ by Robert Frost. Not all paths are easy yet they are worth the journey if we hold God’s leading hand. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting, Sharon. It's true, some paths God leads us down are twisting and difficult, yet if we trust in Him we know He will see us through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words of encouragement, Valerie. Your words are so, so true. "If you are truly seeking God’s will for your writing path, He will make your way clear." I have so many unfinished w-i-ps that I've asked God how can I ever finish them. One trusting day at a time. And yes, we have "the best guidebook in His Word and the compass of the Holy Spirit to point (us) in the right direction."

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.