April 03, 2024

Praying for Our Readers by Sandi Somers

 



I wish that I had told my writing students to give some thought to what they wanted their books to make happen inside the people who read them.

Frederick Buechner

 Ten years ago in my first months writing for our blog, I wrote a post based on John Bunyan’s conversation with his book. I repeat it here with some adaptations.

John Bunyan’s Conversation with His Book

One author who articulated what he wanted to happen inside his readers was John Bunyan, who wrote The Pilgrim's Progress, one of the best-known allegories in Christian literature.

In the sequel, the journey of Pilgrim’s wife and children, Bunyan instructed the book to bravely go out into the world and tell people how much God loves them.

The book raised objections (and I’m paraphrasing some here): “What if they don’t believe me? What if people get angry? What if they criticize you, the author? What if they don’t like the way you wrote?”

Bunyan answered, “Don’t be afraid, Book, as you are a friend and are sent to friends, not enemies. If anyone objects to your authenticity, come back to me, and I will confirm that you are mine. Turn away from people who criticize you. Seek instead those who will rejoice when they read you.”

Prayers for Our Readers 

Pilgrim’s Progress, written over three hundred years ago, has challenged me again to be more specific as I pray for my readers. I’m still learning that praying our words into our readers’ lives can have a great impact. Here are points you may find helpful: 

·       Before praying for your readers, ask God for a listening attitude for His inspiration, His message and His guidance for the particular writing of the day.

·       Clarify your overall goal for the readers of each particular w-i-p.

·       Ask God to take your writing to those who need to hear from God.

·       Pray that each article will be a work of art to challenge your readers’ intellects as well as their spirits.

·       Ask the living Lord to step out of the sentences, paragraphs and ideas to leave His gentle touch on their lives.

·       Know how your prayers have great power. “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results” (James 5:16 NLT).

·       Our church’s mission is for each person to know Jesus personally and become His devoted follower. Join Bunyan’s prayer:

 And may (your words) persuade some that go astray,

To turn their Foot and Heart to the right Way.[1]

And you? What do you want your writing to make happen inside your readers? As you explore this question, what are you discovering about how you can pray for yourself, your message, and your readers? What is God prompting you to do?

Image by Our Daily Bread


[1]Adapted from John Bunyan, Revised and Updated by L. Edward Hazelbaker, The Pilgrims Progress in Modern English, (North Brunswick, NJ colon Bridge -Logos Publishers. 1998) 215 to 221.

 

17 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Sandi, for these important and potent questions. The Pilgrims Progress is one of the best books I've read. It's a good allegory for the inspirational writing life too.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Wendy, that Pilgrim's Progress inspires writing, too. It's a good metaphor for our Christian pilgrimage.

      Delete
  2. Amen! Very deep... I will ponder... Thank you, Sandi for your insightful words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy...those prayer strategies are worth pondering.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Sandi! Will have to read this again. I love this phrase, “ Ask the living Lord to step out of the sentences, paragraphs and ideas to leave His gentle touch on their lives.” Thanks for this call to shift our focus from writer to reader. Amen and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. Isn't it true we often focus our prayers on ourselves as writers? God keeps reminding me to pray for my readers.

      Delete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger8:04 am GMT-7

    Thank you Sandi! I have added this as a new focus to my prayer life - praying for my readers. I also enjoyed the quote from Pilgrim's Progress. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle, for your encouragement. I'm so glad you're adding that new focus--praying for your readers.

      Delete
  5. Valerie Ronald9:52 am GMT-7

    Thank you for this thought-provoking post, Sandi. Prayer is such a vital aspect of our writing life. What a privilege to pray for our readers as well as our own writing. This sentence of yours stood out to me: "I’m still learning that praying our words into our readers’ lives can have a great impact." I have never thought of praying my own words into readers' lives. I will incorporate such prayers into my devotional time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Valerie, and for plans to incorporate prayers for your readers and potential readers into your devotional times. God will bless you--and your readers--for doing it.

      Delete
  6. Dear Sandi, I love how you remind us of the power there is in prayer. There was a time when I wondered if the type of words I send out make any difference to people. I guess this might show my selfish side. An answer to my questioning prayer came out of the blue to me. I had written a few articles on writing as healing a couple years ago. Somehow a woman who lives in Spain messaged me. She thanked me for one of my articles and noted how the words spoke to her grieving heart. Wow, the Lord answered my prayer by having a reader encourage me that my words can indeed help make a difference in someone's life. This keeps me writing but also humbled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, your question if your words you send out make a difference to people is a common doubt we writers have. It's wonderful you got a message from a woman in Spain. God confirmed that your words DO make a difference!! We praise Him for speaking into our questions and doubts.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this beautiful blog. I've started writing memoirs about my childhood and the church of my youth, growing up in an orthodox village in the Netherlands (not like the Amish, but it had similarities). What you're writing now is helping me immensely. I don't know how to thank you, but here it is. xxx, Aritha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aritha, Thanks for stopping by and confirming how God is using me to bless my readers. God bless YOU as you write your memoirs and pray for your readers--God will abundantly speak into their lives.

      Delete
  8. Question: May I translate it into Dutch and post it as a guest blog on my writing blog with a reference to you and/or this blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can. I've looked on your website and would like to connect with you. I'll do so via your website.

      Delete
    2. Yes, please do. You can reference this blog and I'll reply. We're so grateful for the translation feature on our internets.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.