October 27, 2023

Contend for Joy - by Mary Folkerts

 

 

Do you know your personality type?

There are many tests available that help us understand ourselves better. However, even if you’ve never done one, you may still grasp the concept if I ask which character in Winnie the Pooh you feel most closely represents your personality. Are you like Tigger, constantly (annoyingly to some) upbeat? Nothing seems to get you down. Or are you an Eeyore, melancholy and introspective, the glass-half-empty kind of person?

I don’t believe one personality is necessarily better than the other, but there are benefits and struggles to whichever personality we have. The seemingly “happy” person may be hiding behind a facade to mask a deeply troubled spirit. The melancholic might have empathy and understanding of the hard things of life because of how contemplative they are. 



How can I write about joy 

when my own joy seems elusive at times?


What we cannot do is pigeonhole ourselves into a type, thinking, “Oh, that’s just who I am, and there’s nothing I can do about it.” Whatever personality we have, we always need to fight against the negative tendencies within it. 

Many variables form our personalities, such as upbringing, genetics and past experiences. I have lived with myself long enough to know that I tend to be introspective and pensive. I think deeply and sometimes have to fight to see the good in circumstances. I need to be aware of where I focus my thoughts because focusing on the negative comes too easily and is often the beginning of spiralling pessimism.


With this in mind, how can I write about joy? When my own joy seems elusive at times, how can I encourage others to run after the joy of the Lord? Or is it because I must resolutely chase down my own joy that I can confidently share my struggle? 


Suzie Eller, the author of “Joy Keeper,” said in a recent podcast,  "Biblical joy is not a feeling. It’s intentionally walking into the goodness of God right where you’re at. Choose to trust in the source of joy.”

What freeing insight for those who struggle with an Eeyore complex! Joy is not a feeling, but it’s something we choose! Instead of focusing on the difficult feelings at hand, I can choose to place my trust in an infinitely loving God who is above and beyond my struggle.



Do you see beautiful? 

Are you a glass-half-full girl 

or a glass-half-empty girl? 

Some of us need to work 

that little bit harder 

to find the beautiful.


Maybe it’s how we were wired

maybe it’s our past 

that fogs our lenses.

Maybe it’s the habit of negative thinking 

that seems a rut 

way too deep to ever 

climb out of.

And maybe we’re going through hard things 

and beautiful 

is just not even on our radar.


For some of us, it’s the demands 

of the day that stand 

before the beautiful 

blocking our view,

and others of us, 

we just can’t take the time 

because time is of the essence,

we’re running way too fast 

to smell the roses, let alone 

see them. 


If we don’t train our eyes 

to see beauty,

ugly will take its place 

turning our day 

on its head. 

What if we dared to stare down 

the ugly

determined to unearth beautiful 

like an archeologist 

that knows 

it’s buried here somewhere.


Using our five senses 

to investigate the day 

for when we truly look and listen, 

we notice beauty 

all around us;

in the cloud formations 

in the giggle of the little one 

in the chatter of the early morning birds 

in the sweep of the prairie grasses 

in the steam off of your first morning cup 

of coffee 

in the expanse of the ripening yellow 

canola fields 

the cluster of cows grazing.


The more we look for beautiful, 

the more our eyes 

will be trained to see it

our ears will be tuned to listen for it. 

When we focus on beautiful,

when we recognize how God 

has provided for us in the past, 

and how he provides 

the beautiful for us today, 

pointing us to Him,

to the Creator of the beautiful,

to His love 

His provision, 

His enough-ness

maybe just maybe 

we can begin to turn our eyes 

from all that is wrong 

all that is messy 

all that is hard 

all that is ugly

and begin noticing 

the beautiful.



Mary Folkerts is mom to four kids and wife to a farmer, living on the southern prairies of Alberta, where the skies are large and the sunsets stunning. She is a Proverbs 31 ministries COMPEL Writers Training member and is involved in church ministries and music. Mary’s personal blog aims to encourage and inspire women and advocate for those with Down Syndrome, as their youngest child introduced them to this extraordinary new world. For more inspiration, check out Joy in the Small Things https://maryfolkerts.com/  


8 comments:

  1. Michelle Strutzenberger5:50 am GMT-7

    Thank you for this thoughtful and well-crafted post, Mary. Although I am not a Tigger, I would say I tend naturally to want to reassure myself that all is well and the world is beautiful. As the reminders of the opposite pile up - the war in Israel, family troubles, and so forth - your post helps me remember that I can still choose to trust in the source of joy, the Lord. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and I’m glad it could be a reminder of our choices! I need to be reminded daily that I have a choice!💞

      Delete
  2. Thank you, dear Mary, for this beautiful post. You did a wonderful job of encouraging us to choose joy today.
    Your poignant poem touched deep and inspired us to seek His beauty in this moment. We miss so much goodness when we focus on the half-empty side of life.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Wendy! Yes! To focus on the blessings is key especially for less “tigger-ish” souls😬

      Delete
  3. As Mary said, this was so thoughtful and well crafted. I admit to mostly being the glass half full (or... Come on people! It's FULL TO THE BRIM!) person, but I realize that this is not so for many. I've come to realize that not everyone sees the world the way I do so I TRY not to be that annoying Tigger-type... (I'm a "low-key Tigger...). Your comment that joy is not a feeling is key, I think, to helping others find joy and beauty in life, even during those difficult itmes. Thanks for faithfully posting here. I am enjoying getting to know your "voice".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy! Yes not letting the feelings drive our thoughts! Thanks for reading and your encouragement! It’s been fun being a part of this blog!💞😊

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post. My husband had two aunts who overflowed with the joy of the Lord no matter their circumstances and were both full of compassion for others. They definitely chose to think about all that is “noble and lovely.” Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We sure can learn from people like that! Thanks for reading!💞

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.