October 20, 2023

Just Write - Again! Tracy Krauss

 Just write. I know it's already been used, but I just had to use it again! 


This was the phrase I chose one year as my motivation to help keep me on track. The message is so simple, yet so very profound. 

At times authors need a little shot of writerly adrenaline – a way to rediscover the wonder of writing. The admonition to ‘just write’ might be the simplest and best way to do that. Be it rants, prayers, observations, or actual story ideas; in a journal, blog, on a fancy software program, or even on a napkin, there is something about transferring words from one’s brain into written form that stirs the creative juices and inspires the soul.  All the prompts, ‘how-to’ books, and motivational gimmicks still depend on ACTION.  It’s the difference between thinking about something and actually doing it. 

Establishing good habits takes willpower and discipline. Setting daily word counts or scheduling uninterrupted writing times are just a couple of ways to make sure writing becomes a habit. It has been my experience that forcing myself to start on a writing project is often all I need to ‘feel’ inspired again.

For those of us who love to journal, writing daily is a no-brainer. Whether we call it ‘morning pages’, journaling, or prayer writing, it amounts to the same thing – a way to process thoughts, express emotions, or generate ideas. Later, my own words, sometimes written in haste, have provided fertile seeds for more words - the law of multiplication at its most basic level. 

It’s why the advice to ‘just write’ remains so powerful, despite its simplicity. Set aside time for writing – with or without deadlines. Nothing else will help to recapture the joy of putting words to paper like actually doing it. 


Tracy Krauss
 is a long-time member of inScribe who loves to write from her home in northern BC. As the current BC rep and the new acquisitions editor for FellowScript, reach out! Visit her website for more: fiction on the edge without crossing the line. tracykrauss.com


16 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Tracy. I needed this post today. A triple amen to these words of yours:

    "All the prompts, ‘how-to’ books, and motivational gimmicks still depend on ACTION.

    It has been my experience that forcing myself to start on a writing project is often all I need to ‘feel’ inspired again.

    Nothing else will help to recapture the joy of putting words to paper like actually doing it."

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works - and I often need to be reminded of this myself!

      Delete
  2. Valerie Ronald8:15 am GMT-7

    Simple yet profound, and often harder to do than we realize. Thank you for the reminder, Traci. I've learned that only writing when I "feel" like it is not very productive. Some of my best work comes from making myself sit at the computer, whether I feel like it or not. Thanks for the wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. “At times authors need a little shot of writerly adrenaline – a way to rediscover the wonder of writing.” - love this line! Thanks for giving me a ‘shot’ today. May the ‘wonder’ never cease. Great post, Tracy, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks Sharon! Glad to provide that little "umph"!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like my nudge to paint! Just do it…mmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen Stickel

      Delete
    2. Yes Gwen! that's it exactly! Lovely to hear from you!

      Delete
  5. Ahh, my teacher offers words of wisdom once again! Okay, okay, I'm on it! Even when I don't "feel" like it, I will right, I mean write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, just do it, friend! You have an important voice and message.

      Delete
  6. Writerly adrenaline - I'd love a shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's waiting the minute you sit in your writing spot!

      Delete
  7. Re Journalling: "Later, my own words, sometimes written in haste, have provided fertile seeds for more words - the law of multiplication at its most basic level." What words of wisdom, Tracy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary Folkerts8:57 pm GMT-7

    Good words Tracy!! Here’s my question just cause I’m curious 😁 what’s your writing spot? Do you write at a desk? On a certain chair? Are you inspired in a certain spot? ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.