November 01, 2023

K is for Keep: 8 Tips to Help Writers Keep Writing ~ by Wendy L. Macdonald

 



Keep your heart with all diligence,

for out of it spring the issues of life.

Proverbs 4:23 NKJV


Definition of keep according to Oxford Languages:

1. have or retain possession of.

2. cause to continue in a specified condition, position, course, etc.  


The main difference between unknown writers and successful authors in the inspirational publishing world is that godly writers keep at it until the work God wills us to do is done. 

I wonder how many books the world needed didn’t get put in print because the writer gave up too soon. 

A keep-at-it mind and heartset are necessary for Christians and creatives alike. (I’m targeting my struggling heart here.)


Here are 8 tips to help us keep writing:


1. We don’t have to give up on a project because even if it doesn’t become a book, it can be revised and edited into a series of blog posts or podcasts. 

2. No writing is a waste of time. Sentences, pages, or chapters an editor suggested being killed off can be saved in a separate “darlings” file and used in other projects. 

3. Thanks to self-publishing, we never need to abort a book idea we believe in.  

4. If our favorite project didn’t get published, the work we put into completing the manuscript developed our craft. Often the early ones aren’t the first works to stick. Sometimes they get published later after they’re reworked. Plus, the research we did putting pages together, taught us helpful lessons for life. (I’m finding this to be true regarding my current projects about practices that bless relationships.)

5. Tackling a blank page is like crossing the Red Sea, a writer’s inertia doesn’t recede until we dip our toes in the water. 

6. We must never underestimate the potential of first drafts. Writing rubbish gives us something to turn into rubies.   

7. Let’s find a writing quote, Bible verse, or statistic that inspires us. Maybe we can turn it into a prayer for God’s help too. 

8. When we want to toss our pen, we can Google the following phrase and find lots of inspirational links that help us feel less alone and motivated to keep writing: encouragement for writers who want to give up.


I’m nosey to know which tip spoke to you today. Feel free to add more to this list. (I may or may not be asking for a friend.)

 

Blessings ~ Wendy Mac  


Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and podcaster who loves to photograph nature on Vancouver Island. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.” 


14 comments:

  1. Rubbish to Rubies! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & blessings, dear Tracy. It takes the pressure off when we accept that first drafts may needs tons of polishing.

      Delete
  2. Michelle Strutzenberger2:50 pm GMT-7

    Thank you Wendy. I found all of the tips encouraging, but I was most convicted when I read your musing on how many books have never been printed, though the world needed them, because the writer gave up too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Although I wrote this post, I also felt a tinge of conviction when I read over it this morning. Writing isn't an easy calling. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Several spots here, Wendy, on which to stop a moment and ponder. For instance, this poignant spur of a sentence: "I wonder how many books the world needed didn’t get put in print because the writer gave up too soon."

    And, as to which tip caught my eye, well, it was your Point 1: "We don’t have to give up on a project because even if it doesn’t become a book, it can be revised and edited into a series of blog posts or podcasts."

    For that is EXACTLY the decision I made last week when I came across an old binder of notes I had planned for a book back in 2012. No book has come of it to date, but I still love the idea - I feel the pull of it. So I transferred all my notes to my blog, which is my favourite way and place to write, for future posts on the topic. I love that we were thinking similar thoughts around the same time!

    Thanks, Wendy, for a great post!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda, for sharing your choice to follow "the pull of it." You have no idea the encouragement that was to my heart. I have so many word documents waiting for me to do something with them. Your words breathed hope into a neglected pile of projects I still believe in.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this great list, Wendy. Each one wrapped its arms around me and is still holding on. This little line makes a huge impact on me..."No writing is a waste of time." Wow, these words drew me back to when I first started to write when I was a boy. I left all these pieces decades ago because I was too shy to let my family know I love to write. If I can add anything it is, as writers, "love our words and nurture them until we send them into the world." Blessings to you, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Alan. Words bathed in love can't help but share love with our readers. Amen to this wisdom of yours.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Rubbish to rubies! Wendy, I love it!! Your post has a wealth of wisdom, and your topic has a similar theme to mine coming up, although we've approached writing challenges differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. I look forward to reading your post. Your words are always thoughtful and inspiring.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful collection of encouragement, Wendy. “Tackling a blank page is like crossing the Red Sea, a writer’s inertia doesn’t recede until we dip our toes in the water,” was a reminder that God cannot work through our written words until we begin to write. And thank you for pointing out that our writing is never wasted but hones our craft. Many thanks, Wendy, and may you know His presence today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you & blessings on your life and writing, dear Sharon.

      Delete
  7. A great list of ideas to keep writing, Wendy. #2 spoke to me - those darling sentences and phrases that need editing can be used elsewhere. I also liked #1 - writing can be adapted in a variety of ways. Thank you so much, blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Lorrie. Yes, it's encouraging to know we can adapt projects and pursue a fresh path. Blessings.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.