October 02, 2023

J is for Just Do It: Part 2 of 10 Habits for an Ideal Writing Life ~ by Wendy L. Macdonald

  


* This is continued from Part 1


6.  Finish

Whatever we start, we need to complete. Fill the pages and go back later to polish them. Otherwise, we may get stuck and not finish the project. Too much editing at the beginning can curb our passion for the story. Let’s lock the editor part of our brains in the closet so our creative side can come out to play. 

  

7. Keep Quiet

Let’s not share our story ideas until after we’ve got them down on paper. It may work for some writers to talk before they've written. But for many of us, it's a motivation killer. Plus, we may forget what our idea was because we didn't get it on paper "write" away.

Sometimes people don’t catch the vision and they may unintentionally discount our ideas. We must find a safe place to brainstorm. Safe means our creativity will be fanned into producing the first draft of a great idea. Unsafe means we’ll feel shame instead of inspired when talking about our writing.  


8. Drum Up a Dream Team

A dream team is a person or group of persons who help you publish the best book possible. It may include a literary agent, editor, beta readers, critique group, publisher, etc. Whatever publishing route one chooses to pursue, having help along the way will help our book go a lot farther in the world than just our family and friends’ reading lists. 

One aspect I overlooked was the importance of a prayer team behind my writing. I struggled with pride and insecurity to ask for it. After hearing a motivating podcast series about this topic, I finally set one up. A writer's prayer team is oxygen to the author's spiritual health.  

Here’s the link to a podcast I highly recommend: Prayer Teams 


9. Love Your Target Audience

When we remember that reading a book is an investment of time the reader will never be able to reclaim, this motivates us to write the best work we can. 

Our target audience expects certain things to happen in our book. The genre we write in must not veer much—if at all—outside the guidelines for it. And we must keep all our promises and answer all the questions we stirred up in our audience. Loose ends tend to lose readers.

Let's be a blessing to our audience.


10. Cultivate Community

Communicating with readers through social media and email builds a bond with them everyone benefits from. Hearing that our words blessed someone is worth more than a royalty check.

Nothing tells a reader better that you're genuine than when you respond to a comment that they've written on your blog etc. I doubt many of us will be too busy to at least click like to a kind word posted on our Facebook page etc. It's worth the effort to love our neighbor as ourselves. It's not only neighbourly and good business practice but also biblical.

 And speaking of the Bible, the following verse convicts me of my unnecessary procrastination every time I read it:


If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done. Ecclesiastes 11:4 TLB

 

     I’m nosy to know what you would list as the 11th good habit?  


Now here’s the link to the article that inspired my good writing habit series: Writer’s Digest 


Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and podcaster who loves to photograph nature on Vancouver Island. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.” 


15 comments:

  1. That verse in Ecclesiastes in the TLB really says it: If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done. As Anne Lamott says, Just stop not writing. Like you, I love the opportunity to connect and interact with my readers especially on my blog. I've come to love and appreciate them so much. Thanks for a great list, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda. Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird memoir is so encouraging (and funny). The first time I wrote down Eccl. 11:4 was to inspire me to tend to my vegetable garden when my children were young. They loved being outside; sowing and weeding were good for them too.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this wonderful list, Wendy. I went back to review the first part to refresh my memory. I love point #10 about cultivating community This is so important and one of the reasons I love InScribe so much. It is a great community of writers of all genres and experience with two things in common - our love ofJesus and the fact that we are Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Tracy. I was so happy to hear about InScribe, and I'm glad I joined.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  3. I appreciate your habits so much, Wendy. I'm going to hold on to your list, if that's okay. If I add #11,, for me it would be something like, "Write according to your writing energy each day." What I mean is. I have heard, for example, many writers write four hours, or so, each day they write. I write from a different strategy. I can see the benefit in setting aside a few hours to write, but I sit down and write and keep going as long as my creative energy holds out. The result as to how much I accomplish that day, but I don't worry about how many hours.
    Thank you so much, once again, Wendy, for your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your advice to consider your energy, Alan. I can't write all day, nor can I write for long hours every day.

      Delete
    2. Your addition is perfect, Alan. Thank you. On my low energy days I set the bar so low that there's no way I'll miss it. Sometimes I tell myself just to spend five minutes on a project and see what happens. It's a bonus when I work past five minutes and no shame when I don't. We're human beings, not robots.
      Blessings, dear brother.

      Delete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger4:44 pm GMT-7

    I totally agree about the importance of having someone to pray with over our writing. I've been meeting with a friend for over a year to talk and pray about our writing work, dreams, and goals. I don't have scientific evidence for this, but I believe this commitment to praying for each other has helped me in a number of areas in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Michelle, for this important reminder of the power of prayer. God's got us in the palm of His capable and loving hands.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. Your points about considering the reader caught my attention, Wendy. Lately as I've been writing and revising any works in progress, I think of one or two persons who would read my work. Would it meet their needs? Can I write something challenging to those who have more expertise than I? At the same time, would it inspire those whose walk with the Lord isn't as strong as mine. It keeps in mind that I have various readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a wise way to write, dear Sandi. When we aim at a specific target, we serve that audience well.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  6. “Let’s lock the editor part of our brains in the closet so our creative side can come out to play.” - I love this line. Thanks for this collection of wisdom, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sharon. Blessings as your creative side comes out to play with paper, pen, and words.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous7:59 am GMT-7

    Thanks for this wonderful encouragement

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.