October 10, 2023

Junie B. Jones Inspires by Joylene M Bailey

 



~~~~~

I was introduced to Junie B. Jones when my daughters were in elementary school. She was precocious and brave. Endearing, despite her hilarious escapades. I thought her creator, Barbara Park, was ingenious.

I love to read books written for children and young adults. I admire authors who can enter the world of a child and bring us with them. Keep us engaged. And certainly, not every writer can do it.

Park's brilliance was that she could get into a kid's brain. She could tell a story with a five-year-old's voice, from their point of view, and still give a glimpse into what the adults in the scenes were thinking and feeling. 

Barbara Park did something else: she inspired and encouraged me. She showed me, through Junie B. Jones, that writing for children--from their point of view--was doable. More than that, it was publishable!

But it wasn't easy. For example, the chapter book Junie B. Jones and some Sneaky Peeky Spying is 66 pages long. That blows my mind. A children's writer must say everything needed in the fewest possible strong and interesting and just-right words. No, it's not easy. But I do enjoy trying.

I too love to get into the head of a kid. I love the unpredictability, the unique words that come out of their mouths. Their fresh perspectives. It's the most fun I have writing.

I got to wondering as I prepared this post ... did Junie B. Jones inspire me to write for children, or was I drawn to Junie B. Jones because I was innately drawn to writing for children? I still don't have an answer to that one.

Do you find yourself drawn to read the genre in which you write? When you're working on a manuscript, do you purposely read only the genre you're writing in, or do you find it more beneficial to read other genres as well? Does your reading in those genres inspire and encourage you as a writer?

Margaret Atwood's most famous advice for writers is, "Read, Read, Read. Write, Write, Write." Makes perfect sense. I write better when I read. Not just because I'm reading words that are well put together, but because I'm also gleaning from the author how they've formatted their work, how they've used foreshadowing, how best to write dialogue, etc. And for me - when I read books like Junie B. Jones, I'm taken into a child's world. It helps me to get into my own character's head, to bring me into their perspective.

And then the fun begins.

    After that I behaved myself very good. I sat up real straight. And I did all my work. Work is when you use your brain and a pencil." 
Junie B. Jones

~~~~~

Feature image by HANSUAN FABREGAS from Pixabay.




Joy loves creating stories for children from her home in lake country Alberta where she lives with The Cowboy and an Entlebucher Mountain Dog named Chara. She recently won first place for her children's story, Willard, in InScribe's Fall Contest. Find more of her joy-infused perspective at Scraps of Joy.


15 comments:

  1. Well, now I have to search for some Junie B. Jones. I love children's books and like you, Joy, I marvel at how these authors can create a world for us to enjoy with so few words. And yes, I write better when I read. Books in a variety of genres. Although as I work on memoir pieces, I tend to read a lot in that genre, always keeping an eye out for how an author tells her story and so well.

    Enjoyed this post - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. And congratulations on winning first place with your children's piece 'Willard'. Woohoo!

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, search for Junie B. Jones. You won't be sorry. Thanks, Brenda.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this delightful post, dear Joy.
    Margaret Atwood's advice is perfect.
    In answer to your question about whether we read in the genre we write in, my response is mostly yes. I'm drawn to it and find it hard to read otherwise, unless a book is especially good.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've recently started reading outside my chosen genres. I figured I need to expand my horizons, haha. Sometimes I'm surprised how much I like it and sometimes I just can't get into it. There's a season for everything I guess.

      Delete
  3. Your posts never fail to hold me, Joy. Terry and I had the pleasure of our youngest granddaughter to stay with us for two days this past weekend. Oh my, she teaches us a lot about life through her young eyes and heart. She is a self-confessed chatter box and we love her words. Keep writing, Joy, please. Please keep writing and remind me the little boy in me still lives.
    In answer to your question, "Do you find yourself drawn to read the genre in which you write? For the most part, when I write my poetry, I read other poets who have a contemplative voice. These voices who seem to speak from the soul beckon to me and allow me to sit with them and listen. This works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have the weekend with your granddaughter, Alan. Yes they do teach us a lot about life.
      Thank you for your encouragement to keep writing. And thanks for sharing what genres help you write what you're writing. I'm enjoying these answers to my questions.

      Delete
  4. Michelle Strutzenberger5:10 pm GMT-7

    This was a delight to read, Joy. Thank you. I too enjoy writing for children, but I have found it is certainly not easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. Glad to meet a fellow writer for children.

      Delete
  5. A delightful post as always, Joy. It uplifts and encourages me when you share how you embrace your inner child. What a gift. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's a permanent 7-year-old lurking in my brain. Haha. Thanks for your comment, Sharon.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, Joy! I often read outside my genre. It helps especially when I'm at an impasse in an article--to read refreshing new perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how reading outside your genre gets other pathways in the brain percolating, therefore helping your current work. Thanks for sharing that, Sandi.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.