April 21, 2023

Discipline Yourself - Tracy Krauss

Writing takes DISCIPLINE.  

I'm not talking about the punitive connotation, but the self-regulating type required of athletes, musicians, or anyone, really, who is serious about their calling. I tossed the words DEDICATION and DETERMINATION around as alternates, but without DISCIPLINE (self-discipline to be exact) these may be little more than wishful thinking. 

No matter how busy, people tend to make time for the things that are important to them. If this is true, (and I believe it is) I am ashamed to admit that watching Netflix (or other irrelevant TV) must be important to me since I spend a fair amount of time doing it in the evenings.

What about you?

I'm going to be blunt. For most of us, "I'm too busy," is just an excuse.  Finding time to write, publish, connect with other authors, or market our work takes self-disciple. 

Paul says, Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9: 24 - 27 (NLT)

Paul is talking about the Christian life, of course, but the principle applies to writing as well. All the courses, books, and seminars in the world will not make a bit of difference if you don't take action - and then keep on taking action! There are no guaranteed tips, tricks, or "hacks". Moving ahead with your writing goals - whatever they may be - takes hard work and a stick-to-it mindset.

I know from experience that I am "gung-ho" after a conference or seminar, but applying what I've learned for the long haul is hard! It's easy to lose momentum. But like that runner, I have to keep on taking steps forward, no matter how small. I need self-discipline. 

Schedules, deadlines, checklists, rewards, or other incentives are all good strategies. Do what makes sense for you. But like anything worthwhile (praying more, exercising, changing our eating habits etc.) it boils down to one thing: choice

Self-discipline means making the choice. It's that simple.

________________________

Tracy Krauss
is the former president of Inscribe who works, writes, (and sometimes procrastinates) from her home in northern BC. Visit her website at: www.tracykrauss.com





8 comments:

  1. Such good stuff here, dear Tracy. And your excellent track record of being both a faithful writer and a faithful InScribe member give your words credibility.

    I've highlighted this: "But like that runner, I have to keep on taking steps forward, no matter how small. I need self-discipline."

    Oh my, we must not underestimate the value of each small step. Like words, they add up.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I agree that the small steps are what make the most impact in the end...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your words of wisdom brought from many years of discipline with the writing life. I totally agree that discipline means we need to take action - "and then keep on taking action!" You were so right that we get motivated by a course or conference, but then we need to "keep on" even when doldrums hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, I am preaching to myself much of the time - LOL!

      Delete
  3. Hi Tracy! Ah yes, the beauty of self-discipline to move us forward. Thank you for your motivating post. This is a wonderful reminder of our responsibility to ourselves in our writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to "schedule myself in" when it comes to writing, but like most people, I also procrastinate too much! I try to remind myself that my writing is important - not just a frill. :)

      Delete
  4. Really appreciate this post, Tracy, and your no nonsense approach. It’s so true that when it comes right down to it we need to buckle down and do the writing. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I need the pep talk as much as anyone.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.