April 20, 2023

A Testimony of Discipline by Alan Anderson



Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.—I Corinthians 13: 6 & 7.

 

D is for Discipline

 

Discipline means “training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character.” https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discipline

 

Touchy Feely and Called 

Years ago, a friend and colleague informed me I was “touchy feely.” He said this because visiting people in the hospital like I did was not his calling. He spent more time in administrative responsibilities than anything else. He later noted he could not do my ministry. Well, that’s the point of our spiritual gifts. We are gifted as God sees fit. With our spiritual gift comes discipline as our gift develops.

 

I love people, and I love writing. I care for people, and I care about each word I write. I am devoted to both. I imagine there are people who might consider my writing “touchy feely,” as well, and this is fine with me. Please allow me to explain how my spiritual gift and my discipline developed.

 

A Jump Start to Discipline

 

In my younger years of Bible college and ministry, I soon realized I would never be a Biblical scholar. For a time, it seemed I was a failure. While several of my Bible college peers were learning Hebrew and Greek, I was falling behind.

 

April 18, 1977, gave a jump start to my education, ministry, and area of discipline. Dr. Vernon C. Grounds, of Denver Seminary, presented a three-day series entitled, “Thanatology: A New Name for Man’s Old Nemesis.” This presentation set the foundation for my discipline into pastoral care, with my focus on grief, death, and dying. Dr. Grounds was not only a pastor and scholar, but he was also approachable and exhibited a deep love for God’s people.



 

Discipline, Devotion and Ministry


I love people; I love to write, and I hope people find me approachable. I care for people, and I care about each word I write. Over the past forty-five years, I devoted my calling to pastoral care related work to ministry in church and community involvement. This includes my writing. This has all taken determination and discipline to make a difference in the lives of people.

 

My disciplined journey in pastoral care took years to develop. I loved every year, even the difficult ones. One lesson I suggest to younger people as they seek to develop their spiritual gift is don’t give up. Perseverance is part of the journey of discipline. The difficulties faced in ministry, or our writing, may test us. Difficulties, however, are not a reason to doubt or quit our calling.

 

Over the past two years, health challenges have challenged my calling. I see no reason to quit but adjust my approach. My so-called “retirement years” give time and space to evaluate my calling, but not neglect it. This is all part of discipline.

 

Disciplined to Keep Writing

 

These days my writing is focused on writing poetry. This is a pleasant change for me but still invites discipline. This change from short stories, for instance, has taught me disciplined writing can be a form of contemplation. I know people who focus on devotional messages as contemplative writers. For me, poetry is contemplative and helps me focus on thoughts and emotions I hope to express in the poems.

 

Summation

 

Membership as an InScribe writer is a tremendous honour and blessing. We are at different levels in our writing call, yet all of us are disciplined in our gifts as writers.

 

We can never underestimate the importance of discipline in our gift and call to write, whatever our genre. Here are a few concluding points to help us appreciate what discipline entails:

 

1.  Discipline helps one develop self-control.

2.  Discipline takes time.

3.  Discipline includes enthusiasm.

4.  Discipline teaches us to be humble.

5.  Discipline develops focus.

6.  Discipline helps us make wise choices.

7.  Discipline enables us to reach our goals.

8.  Discipline helps us persevere in our calling.

 

Dear InScribe family, love the Lord, love His call on your life, and love the discipline it takes to be faithful.

 

 


Alan lives in Deroche, B.C. with his wife, Terry, and their poodle, Charlie. He contributed stories to Good Grief People by Angel Hope Publishing, 2017; Story by Story: The Power of a Writer, Unstoppable Writers Publishing, 2018; Easter Stories & More by InScribe Christian Writers’ Fellowship, 2021. He is currently working on a book expressing the grief of grieving grandparents entitled “Hidden Poetic Voices: A Reflective Work of Grief, Faith, and Poetry.” Alan periodically writes articles for FellowScript Magazine. He has written posts for our InScribe blog since 2015. He is the Writing Group Coordinator for InScribe. Blog: https://scarredjoy.ca.

 



6 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Alan, for this wonderful testimony of discipline.
    I needed these words of yours: "Difficulties, however, are not a reason to doubt or quit our calling."
    Amen & blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy! Thank you so much for the encouragement. I love how our posts can speak into the lives of each other.

      Delete
  2. Alan, I love how your caring heart is evident in all of your writing. Thanks for sharing how embracing our God given gifts and calling take time and discipline. Your passions - “I love people and love writing” are a blessing to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sharon. As a shy boy, my mum taught me how to care for people. She has always been my role model. She was a quiet, unassuming woman, but by observing how she lived she taught me a lot about life and how to interact with people.

      Delete
  3. "Disciplined journey". What a great theme! You challenged me with your words, "don't give up. Perseverance is part of the journey of discipline. The difficulties faced in ministry, or our writing, may test us. Difficulties, however, are not a reason to doubt or quit our calling." The Lord has reminded me that difficulties lead exactly to the directions I need to go. They're like headwinds--keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Keep going!" is right, Sandi. I am glad you have never quit in your writing.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.