April 03, 2023

D is for Deadline ~ Wendy L. Macdonald

 



Deadline can be a scary word.

One reason I’m glad I volunteered to be a regular writer for this blog is that it’s teaching me to fear deadlines less. 

Each writer needs to find out what works for them. Finishing a college writing project in the 80s on the night before it was due landed me still awake at 3:00 AM. The only reason why I got an A on that assignment was because I chose an intriguing-to-me topic. After spending weeks researching it prior to sitting down and writing the first draft, I knew what I was talking about. 

Looking back on it now, I suffered more than I needed to. It would have been better if I hadn’t procrastinated for so long. That first draft could have been written a week or more in advance rather than on the night before. The stress I felt is still fresh in my mind.

The first draft of this post was written a month ahead of time. Not that I was in the mood. But the word deadline was on my mind because I’ve been wondering if my time will soon come to have writing deadlines written on my calendar regarding bigger projects. All the practice I’ve had at showing up here—and on another blog that I used to write for—will hopefully help me not fear my deadlines, nor procrastinate regarding them.

Deadlines that involve other people can be the scariest. We don’t want to let others down and we don’t want to be looked down upon. Letting someone know you’re going to be late is an option if we’re not going to be on time.

Stuff happens. Grace happens too.

Years ago, I didn’t show up for work once. Not because I forgot. It was because I said yes to a shift I really should have said no to. Later, when I apologized and explained my anxiety about working in that department, I was forgiven and never asked to work in that position again. Instead, I got to stay in my preferred area. Apologizing when we miss a deadline goes a long way to restoring trust. It probably took me a lot longer to forgive myself than it did for them to forgive me.

The secret to fearing deadlines less is to respect them more.

Keeping them also shows respect for others and ourselves. Our reputation is especially important in the inspirational writing world because Christian publishing is a small community. You never know who you will be working with next. You never know who you may need to ask a favor of too. 

Thankfully a lot of grace abides in this community as well. 

"Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much..."

(Luke 16:10 NIV)

What is your favorite tip for meeting writing deadlines? I’m hoping to learn from you. 


Wendy L. Macdonald is an inspirational blogger and podcaster who loves to photograph nature on Vancouver Island. Her byline is: “My faith is not shallow because I’ve been rescued from the deep.” She enjoys interacting with readers on her website and Facebook page.


14 comments:

  1. What a great way to start us off, Wendy! I also appreciate deadlines for the same reasons you do (the accountability and extra push not to procrastinate) and can recall many times when I wish would have gotten to things sooner. One tip for publishing is to use kdp's release date option. If you don't get your final version in on time, people who pre-order will get the unfinished version. Yikes! Great motivation indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes is right, dear Tracy. What a great way to motivate oneself. Thank you & blessings.

      Delete
  2. Dear Wendy, I am with you. I have been a regular contributor to our blog for a few years now. Like you, writing for the blog has helped me fear deadlines less. I am learning to lessen my deadline stress by beginning my blog posts a day or two after my most recent blog post. I look at the next month's writing prompt and jot down a few initial thoughts then put it aside for a few more days. Somehow this gives me a sense of relief and helps me to not procrastinate in finishing the post. The initial thought idea also helps me feel less stress as I work on other writing pieces. I can't really explain this but it certainly helps as I approach a deadline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan, for these great tips for reducing deadline stress. Yes, just a few notes goes a long way to helping a writer feel the relief of having already begun a project. You explained this well. Blessings, dear brother.

      Delete
  3. loved your post, Wendy. Such a great topic for writers. Deadlines used to scare me to pieces - ever since college days and middle of the night furiously typing out assignments. But I have since come to recognize the value of deadlines and, as you point out, have learned to respect them. I no longer do well with last minute rush jobs to meet a deadline; health-wise I can't let the adrenaline surge like that anymore. So in recent years I give myself plenty of time - starting most assignments a few weeks in advance (my guest post here due in September is already started), pecking away at them little by little, rolling in with that final draft with some time to spare. I've come a long way from those frantic old days - so glad they are old days. I found my new path, and I'm a much happier, calmer writer for it.

    Thanks, Wendy. I had fun thinking about this with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Brenda. Amen to avoiding the "adrenaline surge." I have enough trouble falling asleep and staying asleep without adding that to my list of things to keep me awake at night. Happy and calm are gold to this writer too. But adrenaline does come in handy if I forget to mark something on my to-do list and therefore find myself unprepared hours before a deadline. Ouch! :)

      Delete
  4. What a relevant topic to start our month's posts, Wendy! Like the others who have commented, I agree that starting an article some time before the deadline is the way to go. It gives me time to plant the seeds and let the ideas germinate. One thing I find helpful if I have time is to let the "almost finished" article sit for a week or month before reviewing and polishing it--I feel as though I'm looking at it with fresh eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Sandi. Yes, it's a great idea to allow an " 'almost finished' article to sit for a week...before reviewing...it...with fresh eyes." This is an excellent practice for writers to adopt
      Blessings.

      Delete
  5. My Favourite line - "The secret to fearing deadlines less is to respect them more." Wise advice, Wendy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Wendy, for this wonderful post. As a procrastinator I will take to heart your words that encourage us to respect deadlines and also give ourselves grace when we may mess up. I, too, find this blog helps me in being more conscientious and accountable to deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to giving ourselves grace. Oh my, I'd be overwhelmed without it.

      Delete
  7. Hi Wendy, So glad to see you're writing here and thank you for your comments on writing deadlines. I committed to something just a little different earlier this year. I wanted to just make it simple and non-threatening for myself and committed to writing something every day. Most often I feel motivated to capture some thought that I want to remember while I'm doing my morning prayers. I finally gave myself permission to interrupt my prayers and write down the words that are so often right there. Sometimes they are my words to God; sometimes they are His words to me. If I have a particular topic or concern that I want to "discuss" with Him, I write about that. I probably should not have been surprised, but I was surprised to find that my topics for essays as well as my spiritual writing all seemed to become animated. Most often what I came away with were thoughts for further consideration, but often enough the few moments I took during prayer kicked off a flurry of inspiration and writing activity. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that God enjoys being part of the process and blesses our efforts to include Him.
    I have also recently agreed to participate in a writers Substack newsletter. My first post is there. I'd love your thoughts when you have time to take a peek. It's at Nashville Catholic Writers Substack. Blessings on you and your work, Wendy. Mary Adrienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,

      I agree that keeping it simple and non-threatening is the best way to encourage us to show up each day. That's my method for journaling each morning. It works.

      Amen to "God enjoys being part of the process and blesses our efforts to include Him."

      I'll go search for you on Substack. It's something I've also considered joining.

      Blessings.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.