April 10, 2023

D is for Drafts by Bob Jones

      Photo by Nick Fewings Unsplash

When you write a first draft, you write it for yourself. When you rewrite it, you write it for everyone else. Stephen King

 

It's easier to look at something bad then intuit how to make it better, than to make something good out of thin air. The human brain isn't wired for spontaneous ingenuity.” Julian Shapiro

 

 

The thrill of writing is that something that didn’t exist will be produced because of you. The beauty created starts with an ugly, first, rough draft.

 

Are you a visual processor? I am. I need to have the words and phrases in front of me to imagine how they fit together. Seeing them helps me determine which ones are keepers and which ones are throwaways. And which ones look like perfect matches.

 

The journey of 1,000 miles begins with the first step and a first draft is a responsible step towards completing a writing journey.

 

1. The drafting process shouldn’t take long.

The idea is to put down and organize your ideas from start to finish. Good ideas. Garbage ideas. Write freely.

 

2. Write in order to think.

A first draft is a sacred space for generating ideas. Because it's while writing that you discover your best insights. You write in order to give yourself permission to think.

 

When you write a draft you splash your ideas on a blank canvass. Squeeze every last thought from your brain. My drafts don’t always turn out exactly as I imagined them in my head. But once the words are put to paper, I get a vague idea of what I’m looking for in my final piece.


3. Draft with a deadline.

The drafting process needs time. A first draft implies a second. And probably a third or fourth. Give yourself more than a day to complete the process. Just like yeast causes dough to rise, letting your words sit will allow their potential to rise.

 

To finish well you can’t wait till the last minute to start. Set a draft deadline at least 24 hours before you need the finished product.

 

If you need inspiration for this practise, Wendy MacDonald shared good insights about deadlines and Gloria Guest wrote about crunch time.

 

4. Embrace the badness.

Mozart had 600 musical compositions. Edison had 1093 patents. Only a few are remembered today. That's the point.

 

Edit AFTER you draft. When you’re writing a draft, perfectionism is not your friend.

 

Letting go of perfectionism is one of the most important things a writer can do at the start of any project. Keep in mind, a draft is nothing more than your initial ideas and emotions. Perfect spelling and sentence structure aren’t necessary in a draft. Don’t worry about being repetitive or boring.

 

Nobody but you will ever see your draft or judge it. Don’t even think of showing it to anyone.

 

If you try to perfect your work at this stage, you shut the creative side of your brain down and dam the flow of ideas. Ready. Fire. Aim.

 

5. Good enough.

Good enough is good enough for a draft. Everything can be fine-tuned later. So, as you write, remind yourself, “This is good enough.” Keep going. Get your thoughts down. That’s success.

 

6. Choose challenge over competence.

Do you feel like you know nothing when you begin a challenging writing project? You take a risk and tackle a subject you’re not familiar with. Looking at the first draft is humbling. But that’s OK. As Eleanor Roosevelt said,

 

You have no security unless you can live bravely, excitingly, imaginatively; unless you can choose a challenge instead of competence.

 

This post is typical of everything I write. My first draft looks very little like what you just read. The ideas splashed in the Word document were about the pain that arises when you sit too long in a drafty room. The writing process can be a pain in the neck if you sit too long editing as you write.

 

How about you? Is D for Drafts in your world?

 

Bob Jones writes to grow hope, inspire people to be real, forge an authentic faith in Jesus, and discover their life purpose. You can follow his writing at REVwords.com
 


 

 


 

15 comments:

  1. Thank you, Bob, for this powerful and persuasive post about the importance of first drafts.
    Nothing has helped me get first drafts done more than locking the editor part of my brain in a closet while I get some words down.
    Amen to: "Edit AFTER you draft. When you’re writing a draft, perfectionism is not your friend."
    So many good tips in this post.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that about "locking the editor part of your brain in a closest." It's a good discipline. Thank you, Wendy!

      Delete
    2. Jennifer Pahl8:16 am GMT-7

      I love the idea of locking away the editor part while you’re getting your ideas down.

      Good ideas and suggestions, Bob! Thanks for sharing this article!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This is SO GOOD! I love the dough analogy - but really, I love all the advice and wisdom here. I am going to share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much good at baking with dough, Tracy, but I have enjoyed the result. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Bob. I love theses words - “ splash your ideas on a blank canvass. Squeeze every last thought from your brain.” Just write! Lots of great tips. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoyed the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for these practical ideas, Bob! I too love the "let dough rise" analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this great look at drafts. I am going to turn to your insights again and again. Keep writing, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Alan for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark Hazzard7:12 am GMT-7

    Thanks for these insightful tips, Bob.
    Just wondering…do you typically write at home? In a coffee shop? Someplace else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At home. At my desk. With the door closed. And no distractions other than a coffee.

      Delete
  9. Ron Sprentz11:47 am GMT-7

    Great sermon prep. ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Ron. Message prep is like writing prep. I always spoke my messages before I preached so I could hear how they sounded. Written is different than spoken. The first time I spoke them was like my first draft. Even after 40 years of preaching I always ended up changing the way I said things from how I wrote them.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.