December 30, 2022

The Gifts of Bogotá by Sandi Somers

Christmas–that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia… but always it will be a day of remembrance–a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.
~ Augusta E. Rundell ~

Christmas has come and gone with many memories of how God was with us. I related especially to LorrieOrr’s post of her Christmases in Ecuador living away from her family. I too, was away from family in nearby Colombia, and one year I had a special memory mixed with missing family. 

My visit to Bogotá coincided with the Christmas season. I was teaching missionary children in a coffee growing area in northern Colombia, and this was my first visit into the interior. I was eager to meet new friends and explore the large city of two million at that time. Travelling with me was Bessie, who in her sixties had spent years in the country as a missionary teacher.

As our jet neared the El Dorado airport that night, banking and circling Bogotá, lights up and down the mountain nearby appeared like so much gold dust spilling from a bucket. As Bessie and I stepped into the night, the cool air at 8,000 feet altitude (2,500 metres) and fresh odour of recent rains enveloped us, a contrast to the tropical Caribbean coast where our flight had originated.

The next afternoon, Christmas and Latino music blasted from stores and kiosks as Bessie and I, along with friends, wove our way around shoppers bustling in and out of stores. In the growing dusk, we stopped to linger at a gigantic outdoor tree draped in garlands, with lights twinkling from behind its leaves. I was surprised that no one had stolen the decorations, as Bogotá was known for its petty thievery.

That evening we attended a classical Christmas Cantata. As I soaked in the music as a thirsty plant soaks up rain, I couldn’t help contrasting the banks of white lilies decorating the church to the poinsettias so common in Canada at Christmas. But then poinsettia bushes grew everywhere, including the pathway on our mission station.

The next days were exciting days visiting with Bessie’s friends and acquaintances, touring sights around Bogotá and browsing through its modern, well-stocked shops. The atmosphere grew frantic as we neared Christmas, with people rushing to buy last-minute purchases. Bessie and I, too, were caught up in the activity, purchasing gifts for family back home.

We would spend Christmas Eve and Day visit with Bessie’s friends and their two children. It would be different for me; I had grown up with an extended family Christmas of over twenty people—aunts and uncles and cousins, all excited to be together, with Grandma hurrying around in her kitchen to finish dinner preparations. Now, being one of only six people with no one my age was strangely quiet. Suddenly I was lonely for a houseful of people.

But it was a restful evening, and as we prepared for bed, Bessie was given the guest bedroom, and I slept on the couch. In the glow of the Christmas tree lights, the wood softly crackling in the fireplace, I crawled under the warmth of an electric blanket—so welcomed because of Bogotá’s cold nights—and read the story of the first Christmas.

As I closed my Bible and meditated for a few minutes, the embers in the fireplace still crackled orange, and warmth beyond the fireplace and electric blanket enfolded me. That Christmas Eve became a night of music in my heart as I thanked God for bringing me to Colombia and to Bogotá, and I echoed the angels’ words: “Peace on earth, goodwill to men.” Although I missed my family, I knew that “Emmanuel” was with me.

Since that time, I have often thought fondly of that Christmas. It brought its own treasured memories that carried me into the next years and into the rest of my life. 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, dear Sandi, for sharing this tender and thoughtful Christmas memory. God with us truly is the greatest gift ever given. I'm glad it's an eternal present of His Presence. The following description pleased my fondness for loveliness: "...lights up and down the mountain nearby appeared like so much gold dust spilling from a bucket." Beautiful!
    Blessings for 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Wendy. Blessings to you too for 2023!

      Delete
  2. I very much enjoyed reading about your Christmas experience, Sandi, and felt I was living vicariously through your joy. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment about living vicariously through my joy, Bob. It made my day!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful Christmas memory, Sandi. How often I am reminded that Christmas is not about us or our families but about him. This will be one more and, with your permission, I would like to print it just for my files. Merry Christmas and may your 2023 be absolutely blessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure you can print this article. Blessings to you, too, in 2023!

      Delete
  4. Your Christmas memory brought back so many of my own, in Colombia's neighbouring country. Love the line about "lights up and down the mountain nearby appeared like so much gold dust spilling from a bucket." We always flew into Quito's 9500 ft airport at night and that is the most perfect description of the sight!
    Those lonely Christmasses have so much to teach us, and stick so vividly in memory. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorrie, for our common memories in South America! One reason they stick so vividly is that they are unique, with God being present in a very special way.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to join in the conversation. Our writers appreciate receiving your feedback on posts you have found helpful or meaningful in some way.